TJUSD Board Meeting - March 08, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - March 08, 2018

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Student walkouts sweep the US
Everyone wants to stop school shootings, but I don't think there's nearly as much agreement about what should be done.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:41 pm

ONE IN TEN PEOPLE ARE USELESS MORONS
Jordan Peterson | The Most Terrifying IQ Statistic
He tries to be nice about it, but facts are facts. You can't blame the education system. Peterson says no amount of money will change this statistic.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: School Walkouts

Postby mrfish » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 am

panamint_patty: Everybody agrees that bad stuff is bad and that something oughta be done about it. There's no need for a protest to make that point. The problem is figuring out what to do without making things even worse. We humans are really good a fucking things up! Unintended consquences tend to mess up even the most carefully made plans. Just because a bunch of whiners think something oughta be done doesn't mean that it's a good thing to hastily pacify them.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 am

SCHOOL WALKOUTS: CNN makes it sound like the most popular response to school shootings is more gun control. I don't think that accurately reflects the opinions of most people. There are plenty of other actions which can be taken which will do more to solve the problem. This is not about guns. This is a social issue and a mental health issue. School security is also an area where something useful can be done although it's amazing that back before 1999 we didn't have any of these problems which might provide some clues as to the cause of these problems.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am

If it had happened when I was still in school I'd be walking out for 17 minutes in favor of arming the teachers; instead of banning guns to solve the problem. Back then it was understood that a well armed militia was the only thing standing between our freedom and the tyranny of the state. An officer called in who's just finished his coffee break will not have the same mindset as someone that's been inside the building since the incident started. Local law enforcement was isolated, paranoid and paralyzed with fear and did not act in a timely and effective manner. When it comes to protecting students and teachers from school violence a more direct solution is needed.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: IQ Statistics

Postby recluse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 am

ergot: That's some pretty hard, cold facts. It's hard to argue the the point, but it's also hard to accept that all hope is lost. Obvously the eugenics route is not an option, but it also seems to be the case that those at the lower end of the IQ scale tend to produce the most offspring. What does this mean for the future of humankind?
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Re: IQ Statistics

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

recluse: One adjustment our society has made is the creation of lots of jobs that require little or no skill. Have you ever noticed the lost look on the faces of half the people working on a roadcrew? Half of those people could do twice the work if they didn't have to work around the morons who have been provided with subsidized jobs. It's the same way with a bunch of less observable jobs. One way or the other the tax paid by the able-minded pays for the dim-witted. The best attitude is to be grateful for what you're blessed with, but it's hard not to resent those who contribute nothing of value.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am

It's easy to become upset knowing that I make less than many of the people my money is taken away and given to for doing nothing. I can only take comfort in knowing that I have the willpower and intelligence to make the best of my resources and hopefully make sure that I still come out on top even though the odds are stacked against me.

I don't have a lot of respect for Jordan Peterson because he uses his brilliance to take simple concepts and confound them into complex explanations rather than using it to make the complex easy to understand.

The education system seems to be working the same way. Especially in math, requiring ridiculously complex repetitive explanations to simple addition problems instead of using the power of today's computers to teach students to solve the complex and hidden problems we face as a society.

I can't help feeling that if I were a student today I would be judged with an inferior IQ for having a rebellious attitude against the dumbed down way students are being taught these days.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 pm

surfsteve wrote:I don't have a lot of respect for Jordan Peterson because he uses his brilliance to take simple concepts and confound them into complex explanations rather than using it to make the complex easy to understand.

I completely disagree. I think Peterson explains things in a very clear and concise manner. I don't agree with everything he says, but generally I think he is good about cutting through the bullshit and getting to the truth behind the politically correct mainstream media garbage we've been fed for the last few years or maybe decades.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 am

Schools Are Still Spanking Students..In 2018! WTF!
An Arkansas high school administered corporal punishment to a student who participated in the recent school safety walkout.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News