TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri May 11, 2018 11:21 am

Student Report - Summary of recent high school events provided by high school ASB president. He mentioned a “Better Lunches” petition which had been signed by several high school students. Apparently some students are not pleased with the food being served by the cafeteria.

Board Member Comments - A few community-related events mentioned including the bike rodeo scheduled for Saturday. Also the addition of new Citizens On Patrol (COPs) was mentioned.

Trona Teachers Association - TTA president updated the board on newly elected TTA officers and talked a little about royalty-related issues.

Superintendent - Mentioned a science conference to Tulare and a visitation to a school in Sanger. Also talked about summer projects including a “makerspace” for the elementary as well as a makeover for the elementary library. Additionally, he stated that he will be going on the Senior Trip this year.

Head of Maintenance, Operations, and Transportation - Told the board about a four-day “bootcamp” event he attended which dealt with matters related to his job responsibilities.

Public Comment - One person related to a person employed as a coach addressed the topic of rumors regarding that person and insisted that the rumors were untrue. Provided compelling reasons not to believe the rumors.

NEW AUDITORS - Previous firm no longer providing services to the district. New firm selected. Cost will increase from $17k to $25k per year.

Sixth Grade Camp - Board approved for sixth grade to go to Camp Keep during the 2018-2019 school year after a brief discussion. Board members asked about alternative camps and received info about the cost of a camp in the San Bernardino Mtns. Camp Keep is located along the coast and is less expensive than the camp in the mountains.

Charter School - A representative from California STEAM San Bernardino presented information to the board about a request for the district to authorize a second charter school called University Prep San Bernardino. This second charter school would focus more on students with a variety of special needs. A number of aspects of the programs were discussed with many questions being raised by board members and those in the audience. It was reported that the charter school has paid $500k to the district over a period of two years.

HS Math Requirements - All students will now be required to complete three years of math during the four years they spend at high school. Previously only two years were required.

SPECIAL MEETING: May 24
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: June 14
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 10, 2018

Postby panamint_patty » Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 pm

blackturtle.us wrote:Student Report - Summary of recent high school events provided by high school ASB president. He mentioned a “Better Lunches” petition which had been signed by several high school students. Apparently some students are not pleased with the food being served by the cafeteria.

I've never heard anyone say anything good about the food provided by any school cafeteria anywhere in the USA and on that note here are some sample school lunches from around the world:
School Lunches Around The World
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat May 12, 2018 12:08 pm

People Apologize to Their Teachers
I was better than most of my friends, but I did a few things that I should probably confess... :dizzy:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Jake Paul - My Teachers
Here's a video from an extremely popular YouTuber. He exemplifies what it means to be both arrogant and ignorant. He won the YouTube lottery by appealing to the low-IQ crowd. He's convinced that he doesn't need to know anything about quadratic equations, but without people who learned all that stuff he'd be nothing.

COMMENT LEFT TO VIDEO:
Have you considered what message you spread to your fans, who are primarily kids, attending school? It's so wrong to show scenes of disrespectful behaviour toward teachers. Paying attention to people, who are willing to teach us, is a key factor to become succesful.

cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am

Jake Paul is a scumbag. If we're lucky some kid will get in a ton of trouble at school and claim Jake Paul as his inspiration. A lawsuit will then be filed against Jake Paul and he'll lose every penny he ever made as a result of acting like a total a-hole on YouTube. True justice!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 am

There were several attempts to sue rock bands back in the 1980s and 1990s for inspiring anti-social behavior, including suicide. I believe all those lawsuits failed. The difference here is that Jake Paul has a very young audience and he is very aware of the demographics. He also is directly modeling anti-social behavior as opposed to simply singing about it. I think it would be legally possible to hold him accountable. It's a little bit like screaming fire in a crowded theater, to use an over-used analogy. Many kids already have negative attitudes towards school and encouraging them to rebel while at school is exactly what Jake Paul is doing. It certainly would be true justice if he did actually lose everything he owns. No doubt!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am

What I hear is that Jake Paul has already sort of apologized for the video. He has no plans of taking the video down since he insists that it was meant as a joke not to be taken seriously. In a recent video he explained to his fans that he was just venting and that he really believes that students should listen to their teachers and try hard at school. It's difficult to say if he sincerely meant this or was just worried about some kind of backlash. I haven't had a chance to find and watch the video in which he made this statement, but that's what I've heard and it seems like a prudent move for Jake Paul to make.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am

At the beginning of his moronic video little Jakey-Poo insists that quadratic equations have no relevance to his moronic little life. Is it possible for someone to be more ignorant and clueless? Probably not, but if it weren't for people who took the time to learn all that stuff that he considers irrelevant, there would be no internet (and he would not be a millionaire) and there would be no Lambos for a Bozo like him to waste money on. Eventually, he'll need medical attention from someone who took the time to learn all that irrelevant stuff and he'll probably want to use camera equipment and fly in a plane that wouldn't exist if not for people who took the time to learn all that irrelevant stuff. Ultimately, Jake Paul is much more irrelevant than just about anything, but many of his clueless fans will never figure that out.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu May 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Changing the culture inside the classroom, focusing on student comfort
Skepticism is my tendency and so I tend to think realistically. My hunch is that this is likely to result in competition for the best spots and could devolve into fights and a lot of negativity. Very unlikely to be as hunky-dory as portrayed in this news clip. It works for this teacher because he MAKES it work, but for ninety-five percent of teachers it's likely to fail.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Screens May Affect Your Child's Brain Development
It may be a cheap babysitter, but it puts kids who spend too much time in front of it at a severe disadvantage.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local News