Frontier: NO SPEED INTERNET & Verizon: DO THEY EVEN TRY?

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 am

The same thing happened again. The service was working in the morning but wasn't when I needed to make a call in the middle of the day. But was working again later that evening and this morning. Maybe they are through working on it and it will stay up once and for all till the next time something major happens.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

3rd day of no cell service

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am

This is the third day my cell service has been down. Many other people I know are having the same problem yet others are working. Yesterday I was on the phone with the phone company for hours and the only thing they accomplished was giving me a headache.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: 3rd day of no cell service

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 am

REFUND: Verizon should be forced to give a refund for each day without service. I pay about $80/mo for cell service. That's about $2.60 per day of service. Each day they fail to provide service in Searles Valley should be a day I'm not charged for. That only seems fair.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 pm

I don't want a refund I need my cell service working. If anything they should pay damages. It's odd. Half the people I know's phones are working and half are not. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's verizon or straight talk. Seems like this happens on a regular basis every six months or so and nobody ever admits to the problem let alone that there is one.

I do home health care for several people and I am unable to be reached if there is a life threatening emergency. If someone dies as a result of this whoever is responsible is looking at a huge potential lawsuit.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:05 pm

I wonder if it matters how old your phone is. It might be a scam to motivate people to get new phones. It wouldn't be hard for Verizon to detect the phone model and make things work or not accordingly.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

My theory is that all the teenagers are out of school and they have unlimited data and so they're maxing out the cell tower to full capacity playing their stupid video games and watching their stupid videos. Damn teenagers!!!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 am

Wasn't it a fire last summer or the summer before that knocked some transceiver out that resulted in over a week without cell service here? If I recall correctly the transceiver was located on top of a mountain somewhere down around Hesperia or Lancaster or somewhere in that general area. I haven't heard any news about large fires down in that area, but there's always something going on that can interfere with normal operation of equipment. That doesn't excuse the cell companies at all, just that there might be a reasonable explanation. Then again there probably isn't.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am

When you pay for a service it seems reasonable to expect that it be reliable. Verizon has failed in that area repeatedly. There's no excuse for their sorry lack of service and when you call in you are forced to wait. Refund? Don't count on it! As for emergencies, they're probably exempt from a lawsuit although they should be fully accountable, but that's the privilege of being a corporation in the Corporate States of America!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am

I still have no cell service after 4 days. Who's phone is working on here and who's is not?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Cell service seems to be restored or at least I got a call through earlier. But four days without service is too much. Is it too much trouble for Verizon to email customers and explain what's going on?
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News