TJUSD Board Meeting - October 11, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - October 11, 2018

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am

A few community members were in attendance in addition to board members and school employees. The meeting lasted about an hour. Highlights as follows:

1) Student Report and Board Member Comments: Several announcements made pertaining to Gem and Mineral Show (October 13 & 14) and Homecoming (October 19 & 20). Student projects will be on display at the Gem and Mineral Show. Also some kind of fundraising activity will occur in association with the Gem and Mineral Show. There will also be a pancake breakfast event for Homecoming.
2) Trona Teachers Association Report: a) Recommendation made that district purchase a satellite signalling device for use on outings into areas without cell service. There were issues with a recent school sponsored event and such a device would have allevaited some worries on the part of parents. b) Assertion made that there is a difference between a substitute teacher and a non-permanent employee acting as a teacher of record. c) Assistant coaches - Suggestion that it might be a good idea to hire at least one assistant coach for all sports. d) Insurance issues - Informed board of two glitches involving health benefits provided to teachers. e) Comments regarding proposed Memorandums of Understanding.
3) Superintendent’s Report: a) Talked a little about T-painting. In the past flares were used, but the switch has been made to LED lights which last 24 hours. Also talked a little about upgrades made to the elementary library and the new makerspace room at the elementary.
4) Maintenance Report: New weight room equipment installed. Old equipment to be declared as surplus. Summer projects mostly complete except for a few small items arriving late. Upgraded gates for high school and elementary being installed.
5) Park Location - Head of maintenance presented to the board a map showing different options for portions of property owned by school district which could be used for a community park. He and the superintendent explained that it is important to define the exact location and size of the parcel so that a proper legal agreement can be created. Also a teacher suggested that a skate park might be a good feature to include as part of the park.
6) Revolving Cash Fund - Increased from $3K to $10K. There was some discussion as to why this was necessary and how the fund is monitored to ensure that there is full accountability for district funds.
7) PUBLIC HEARING TEXTBOOKS - A complaint was made regarding a lack of books available for students to take home. A parent explained that her son was adversly impacted when a teacher refused to send a textbook home so her child could complete work during an absence. There was a fair amount of outrage expressed by the board over this situation. Approval of the relevant resolution was tabled until problems with textbook availability are properly dealt with.
8) High School and Elementary Gates - Approval for payment for installation. At this point the gates have been fabricated and they will soon be installed.
9) EPICENTER - Approval of purchase of software to help monitor charter school sponsored by district. Funds to pay for the software will come from monies received from charter school.

NEXT REGULAR MEETING: November 08, 2018
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - October 11, 2018

Postby ergot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 pm

"Did You Shoot Up The School?" | South Park
Ho hum, business as usual! :laugh:
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 am

For-profit school regulation to go into effect
The regulation definitely protects consumers from a form of fraud and so it definitely should go into effect and be aggressively enforced.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Cannibal cookies? Student accused of baking grandmother’s ashes and feeding classmates
This is a little bit sick and twisted, but what do you expect from kids going to a charter school?
Students at a Da Vinci Charter Academy High School reportedly ate human ashes after a girl brought cookies to school that were made from her grandmother’s cremated remains. WRIC reports at least nine students ate the cookies, and another student is believed to have been involved in the plan.

https://www.rt.com/usa/441440-grandmother-ashes-cookies-davis/
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Cannibal Cookies

Postby dilbert » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 am

This gives new meaning to the phrase OLD FAMILY RECIPE. What a wonderful way to pay tribute to a dead relative. She could definitely say in complete honesty that she made the cookies with her grandmother. Family values at the finest!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby JanuaryJones » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 am

Sounds like the typical charter school student to me. They can't make it in regular school and so they get enrolled in a charter school where they congregate with the rest of the retards who flunked out of regular school.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shadylady » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 am

JanuaryJones: Shame on you for using the r-word. It's better to say cognitively challenged! LOL But seriously, I agree with what you said about charter school students. I've never met one that didn't have some kind of mental or family or emotional issue.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am

OLD FAMILY RECIPE: I wonder if anyone has posted the recipe used for these cookies. I suppose carefully sifting the ashes would take care of any texture issues, but I can't imagine what the taste would be like. In any case, one thing I learned long ago was not to eat homemade cookies made by anyone you have the slightest doubt about. It's way too easy to work in questionable ingredients. Not that I'm paranoid, but just the thought of even a small amount of something weird in the mix is enough to cure me any desire to eat cookies of unknown origin!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ergot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Police investigate if cookies included human ashes
So there's a lab test that will determine if the cookies contain human ashes?
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:29 am

I must admit that when I first saw the headline I thought it said CANNABUS COOKIES. I was a little confused at first as I read through the article, but I caught on after a bit. It seems that there have been quite a few stories over the years about high school kids bringing cookies laced with pot to school and this is the first one I've heard about cookies laced with the ashes of a deceased loved one. Possibly a case of taking the idea of recycling way too far!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local News