TJUSD Board Meeting - December 13, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - December 13, 2018

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 am

Is banning or limiting homework healthy for kids or will it leave US students further behind
This is not a very good discussion of the topic. The lady in blue is especially clueless. However, it is an interesting topic.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:16 am

wildrose: Yep! That lady in blue is a total ditz! :laugh:
Having said that, homework is a good thing, but up to a half hour per night is about right. It provides a chance for parents to help kids who are having a hard time keeping up and it helps kids develop the ability to be responsible.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:36 am

I'm in favor of homework and don't think it should be banned, but I'm against excessive homework. There's a happy place somewhere in the middle that is just right!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:33 am

When I went to school I refused to take my homework home. I always did it in class. Usually the next class I had. I think I owe being able to multi task from that. I always figured my home time was my own and I was usually busy with sports or working or reading about something I was interested in, instead of some dumb thing assigned to me.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:17 am

What exactly is 30 minutes of homework? What takes one kid 8 minutes to do might take another kid close to an hour to do. And that's even kids in the same grade level. A lot of kids waste time and make a scene when they could just get it over with in a few minutes. I know parents often get frustrated with kids who refuse to do their homework and that kind of thing can get unpleasant. Still I think homework is a good idea as long as there's not too much of it.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:11 am

To make matters worse some parents DEMAND homework and some complain about it. Most are somewhere in the middle. The point being that it's impossible for teachers to keep everybody happy. A typical class contains kids who may range in ability from a couple grades below grade level to a couple grades above grade level. Different parents have different expectations for just about anything you can imagine. Add to that federal versus state expectations and then local administrator preferences and local school board demands and you can see how teachers are pulled apart in twenty directions at once! It's an impossible job to keep everyone happy. As I've mentioned several times on this message board. I'm a retired teacher and so I lived through all this and homework has been an issue discussed for decades and this will probably continue to be the case well into the foreseeable future.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:13 am

Maywood Teacher Caught On Video Punching Student To Make Court Appearance
Although it's fun to see the smart ass teen smacked down, there's no way that a teacher should ever go after a kid like this. Self-defense is one thing, but the kid did nothing that actually came close to justifying the actions taken by the teacher. This guy should never be allowed to work with kids under the age of eighteen ever again. He crossed a line that can't be crossed. He should probably also get six months in prison as reasonable punishment, but I wouldn't recommend anything more than that.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Teen arrested for recording boys using bathroom and changing at high school
This happened at Ridgeview High School which is not located in Ridgecrest!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Candid Camera

Postby shadylady » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 am

twister: Things like this have been known to happen at most high schools and so while it may be the case that this particular incident did not happen at a local school, there is no doubt that this sort of thing has happened more than a few times at just about any high school or middle school you can think of. Smile! You're On Candid Camera!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Candid Camera

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 am

shadylady: I've seen video taken in lockerrooms. I won't say where or when, but I've seen it. I have no doubt that it happens nowadays more than it did in the past since there are so many small video devices that can easily be concealed, but there's nothing at all surprising about the suggestion that this is a common occurrence.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News