TJUSD Board Meeting - February 14, 2019

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: MEATLESS MONDAYS

Postby KissMyTail » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:24 am

And in either case, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - February 14, 2019

Postby wildrose » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am

Overcoming Barriers to a College Diploma
Most of the assertions made in this very short propaganda video are blatantly untrue. The truth is that socioeconomic status (SES) is not very highly correlated with college success, but intelligence is highly correlated with college success. A low-IQ/high SES student is less likely to graduate from college than a high-IQ/low SES student. There is plenty of grant money available for anyone who lacks money. On top of that, colleges actively recruit minority students. In fact, minority students who score poorly on academic aptitude tests are admitted ahead of high achieving White and Asian students. Basically the take away from all this is that SES is not the issue. Intelligence is the factor that determines success in college more than any other factor or group of factors combined.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 am

wildrose: The problem is that students with low academic ability are encouraged to go to college nowadays. This sets them up for failure. The odd thing is that often the failure of these students with low IQ is falsely attributed to racism. Rather than seeing the reality of the situation, libtards insist on creating excuses which results in colleges lowering academic standards in order to make students with low IQs appear to succeed.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:43 am

The result is less qualified graduates. Not only do they know less as a result of their schooling, but they are less intelligent to begin with. This is a dangerous trend. While other countries are making significant advances, we're falling behind. The USA will not last much longer if we can't compete. This is a much more serious AND REAL threat than global warming!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 am

desertrat: Threat to who? The USA? Yes. The world? Not so much. The world will do just fine without the USA around to interfere in their internal affairs. In fact, the world might be better off without us. But make no mistake, if it were up to me I'd take this issue on as if our lives depended on it. And the reality is that this threat is real, unlike some of the other supposed threats that the news media likes to push.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:48 am

Getting back to meatless Mondays, my feeling is that teaching students that there are vegetarian options to meat is a good thing. How do kids know that they like something unless they are given an opportunity to try it? It's not about converting them to be vegans. It's just a matter of helping to understand that there are viable and palatable options to meat.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Meatless Mondays

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:12 am

Meatless Mondays are not a bad idea. I don't see that as too much and it's mostly a positive thing. Americans eat far too much meat and so allowing children to try some alternatives is definitely a good thing.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am

I've heard a lot of squacking about the meatless thing, but it seems like a lot of fluffed up feathers over nothing to me. One day a week without meat is a good idea.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:10 am

panamint_patty wrote:I've heard a lot of squacking about the meatless thing, but it seems like a lot of fluffed up feathers over nothing to me. One day a week without meat is a good idea.

Agreed! People who complain about things not worth complaining about marginalize themselves. No one is banning meat. All that is happening is that children are given a chance to try new options.... which might just so happen to also be better for them!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 am

So I heard that school was cancelled yesterday due to the internet being out. It's amazing how dependent we are on the internet! The funny thing is that I also heard that the internet was not out in Trona yesterday and so I'm a little confused about why school was cancelled.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News