Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby surfsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Frank Tufano goes VEGAN for a day!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Here are two conflicting videos of meat eaters vs vegans and vegetarians. I feel I did have a lot more endurance as a vegetarian. One thing I might point out is vegetarian is not vegan. As a vegetarian I ate plenty of dairy products and "vegetarian" omelets and was able to bicycle 200 miles in 10 hours and 50 minutes. This was during the '70's when eating eggs was considered vegetarian to most people and raw milk and cheese was still sold at every health food store. I also took raw glandulars and ate dozens of liver tablets; but they didn't count back then because they were supplements, not food... I even dated a girl that ate bacon and claimed it was vegetarian because the slices were so thin that they didn't count either...

The First Studies on Vegetarian Athletes

Vegans: The Epitome of Malnourishment 4
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 am

I've always believed carnivore was ok for sprinters and strength training...

But I was very surprised to find a carnivore who was an ultra marathoner. Only watched a few minutes of this video. I would love to find out what vegan athletes and carnivores have in common and what the difference is between them and people on normal diets.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 am

Despite all the people who like to criticize Dr. Gregor, there is no YouTube channel that compares to his channel. He keeps his videos short and to the point. He provides citations to studies and his logic is solid. I can't say that for very many of the people advocating for various nutritional strategies on YouTube. In fact, most appear to be complete quacks as far as I'm concerned!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:37 am

shadylady: I could not agree more. I have not seen another online source of information about nutrition that comes close to the quality of Dr. Gregor's videos. I'd like to see others with different points of view produce high quality videos that get straight to the point without lots of filler for the sake of creating unnecessarily long videos, but Dr. Gregor seems to be one of the few willing to provide useful info without redundant chitter-chatter.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Dr Michael Greger In Heated Debate With Keto Promoter!
Gregor schools the keto whackjob! :laugh:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am

panamint_patty: There are so many extremists when it comes to nutrition. Dr. Gregor seems well-grounded in science. There's no doubt that meat is not super good for people, but it's a convenient source of protein and so it's not all bad. I suppose if people get to know lots of plant-based recipes which provide adequate protein that those recipes will eventually seem equally convenient. But the keto crowd and the low carb crowd seem to be totally out to lunch, so to speak.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:48 am

It a nutshell this guy says if you were raised as a baby on meat you will have a hard time converting to vegan but you should do it anyway because you will eventually adapt to it and save the planet.

WHEN VEGAN DIETS DON'T WORK 30 min.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 am

Well Jake if you want to call quoting a bunch of scientific articles being well grounded in science I suppose you are right. He also artfully stays away from extremism by being general and never recommending any sort of specific diet plan, only saying it should be plant based. A lot of us have been really getting on him about that and I've noticed lately that he occasionally mentions to eat lots of greens and that coffee and doughnuts are plant based and not good for you but he's got a long way to go. I'd have to agree with you that a lot of keto recommendations aren't all that healthy and that all meat is not a superfood but there are some meats like liver that are. In case you weren't paying attention all plant based foods are not that great either.

I don't advocate throwing all science out the window but much of it is sponsored and paid for by people with an objective and that kind of science should be. If you examine people that are healthy and have lived into old age the vast majority of them eat both meat and plant foods. I would say that veganism is also extremism and should be approached with much caution. At the other end of the spectrum we have carnivore. Most people that participate in extremism seem to be in poor health but there are exceptions in both groups. If you want to say all meat is bad then how do you explain Andrew Gaff and if you want to say veganism leads to malnutrition and early death then how do you explain Victorus Kulvinskas? Maybe we should be focusing on what those two types of people have in common rather than on their extremisms.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:12 am

Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen is a great place to start if you want to be healthy. Here's the list: beans, fruits, greens, flaxseed, grains, exercise, berries, cruciferous vegetables, other vegetables, nuts, spices, and beverages. Personally I see nothing wrong with including some meat in my diet, but I think it's very possible to get plenty of protein without meat. OH, btw, Dr. Greger also recommends two important vitamins: B12 and D3.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips