Deer and Rabbit Problems

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Deer and Rabbit Problems

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Rabbit Problems
Lately I've been dealing with a bunny that keeps getting into my yard and eating my plants. Although my fence is rabbit-proof, it is not bunny-proof. The bunny just hops right though gaps in the fence that are less than two inches wide. So, I've planted some rabbit resistant plants and I'm hoping that the bunnies will get big enough to where they can't squeeze through my fence pretty soon. If that doesn't work I suppose I could always make rabbit stew!
:stirpot:
Naturally, I wrote a short, annoying song about the evil bunny that's been eating my plants:
Last edited by blackturtle.us on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Rabbit Problems

Postby mrfish » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Rabbit stew sounds like the perfect solution!
:cactus:
Unfortunately it's been such a dry year that there is very little for rabbits to eat and so they don't have much choice other than to invade yards. By the end of summer either all the plants will be gone or else all the rabbits will have starved to death. The desert can be kinda harsh sometimes!
:sun:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 am

I had rabbit problems a few years ago. I put chicken wire up around the full perimeter of my yard. It was a pain in the butt, but it worked! I feel your pain and I can understand why you might not want to go to all that trouble, but it's probably the only sure-fire solution. Planting rabbit resistant plants might work, but with only a few exceptions a rabbit will eat almost anything if it's hungry enough. I know oleanders are poisonous and will kill rabbits and so they're rabbit proof, but most rabbit resistant plants just don't taste good to rabbits, but they'll eat them when they're starving.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 am

Sure a better fence will stop them but they will always want to come in. Besides, that's a lot of work. If you simply ignore your garden and let it die, like our constitution, the rabbits will no longer be interested in coming in your yard.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

surfsteve wrote:Sure a better fence will stop them but they will always want to come in. Besides, that's a lot of work. If you simply ignore your garden and let it die, like our constitution, the rabbits will no longer be interested in coming in your yard.

Save the plants by letting them die? Now that's about the funniest non-solution to a problem I've ever heard! That makes about as much sense as protecting a house from fire by setting it on fire or saving money by giving it all away!
:laugh:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ruskyed » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Speaking Russian 38 - кролик, зайчик, растительность
Here's my lesson on rabbits and bunnies and the damage that they do! :curse:
Давайте приготовим рагу из кролика!
Давайте приготовим тушёного кролика!
(Let's make rabbit stew!)

ruskyed
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 am

Rabbit Resistant Plants and A Repellent that Works :sun:
The Dirt Doctor has a few ideas for plants that rabbits won't eat and some kind of repellent that works too. Not too sure how many of the plants on the list would actually handle the heat around here, but there might be a few good ideas on the list!
LINK: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Rabbit-Resistant-Plants-Newsletterbr_vq3494.htm
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:25 pm

....or here's an idea, feed the litter critter something that h'd prefer over the garden. Feed em til he can't fit through the fence. :pac:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Rabbit Trap
Get a rabbit trap and then drop the long eared rodent off somewhere out in the middle of the desert.
HUMANE RABBIT TRAPS:
http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/rabbit
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Ground Squirrel Hunting with Edgun PCP Air Rifle
Shoot the little suckers! Just use an air rifle so you don't disturb your neighbors. Here's how it's done:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips