Growing Marijuana

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Growing Marijuana

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 am

The problem with scientific studies is that they were never truly scientific in the first place; and have always been tainted by politics, business and personal biases. Been trying for years to get that point across when it comes to diet, supplements and medical drugs. Perhaps it is easier to see when it comes to marijuana. Obviously lies have been told to us but just because it's been legalized by the state does not mean it's good for you either. All you have to do is remember what happened with cigarettes. For years doctors were running around touting how good they were for you; then all of a sudden they were the major cause of cancer. The truth about them has always been the same, whatever it may be; but the perceptions of truth change drastically on a whim; from one extreme to the other, not unlike the weather.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 pm

I think most scientists are agenda free and are just trying to solve problems that need to be solved. It's the outside forces that keep scientists from pursuing an unbiased line of inquiry. Those who control the purse strings are to blame. Entirely. As for cigarettes it might be the case that back in the 1940s doctors claimed that they were in some way good for you, but that was over a half century ago and medical science has come a heck of a long ways since then!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 am

If by "most scientists" you mean most people that love science, I agree with you but "most scientists" are only doing it for a paycheck and those that truly love science like myself would never stand a chance of being hired to be objective by the companies that pay "most scientists".
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:54 pm

surfsteve wrote:If by "most scientists" you mean most people that love science, I agree with you but "most scientists" are only doing it for a paycheck and those that truly love science like myself would never stand a chance of being hired to be objective by the companies that pay "most scientists".

What one does out of necessity and what one does out of preference are two different things. As CactusHugger said, "Those who control the purse strings are to blame. Entirely." Most scientists want to discover the truth about whatever it is that they are studying. What they discover and what they are allowed to make public might very well be two very different things, but that doesn't mean that they are only in it for a paycheck. More importantly having a platform which allows for research which would not be possible without financial backing is very motivational. Also being able to share info with others with inside knowledge is very motivational. So, basically, I totally disagree with your assessment of what motivates most scientists.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:09 am

How do you know that most scientists want to discover the truth. That statement is like me saying most scientists are working to pay off school loans and put money in the bank. See, no bases for either statement. A more accurate statement would have been you think most scientists want to discover the truth.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 am

Most bank robbers too.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: SCIENCE: The Pursuit of Truth

Postby cactuspete » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:17 am

Nope. Not buying it for a second. I don't know if either of you graduated from college with an advanced degree, but people select their majors because they have a strong interest in a particular subject area. People who care about making lots of money tend not to pick science as their area of study. Sure scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists can make good money, but if your priority is making lots of money there are easier ways of reaching that goal. People who go into the majors I just listed have IQs generally well above 115. They know what they're getting into. As a retired engineer I will admit that I made decent money, but the thrill was doing cutting edge science. Military weapons systems employ some of the most advanced science known to mankind. The thrill of being involved in the development of these systems is difficult to describe. We literally developed technologies never before seen by mankind on several occasions. No details will be given, but the opportunity for that kind of intellectual growth is worth more than money. The paycheck allowed me to live comfortably while enjoying one of the most exhilarating careers possible. So, I stand firmly by my earlier assertion: Most scientist want to discover the truth!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 am

cactuspete wrote:Nope. Not buying it for a second. I don't know if either of you graduated from college with an advanced degree, but people select their majors because they have a strong interest in a particular subject area. People who care about making lots of money tend not to pick science as their area of study. Sure scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists can make good money, but if your priority is making lots of money there are easier ways of reaching that goal. People who go into the majors I just listed have IQs generally well above 115. They know what they're getting into. As a retired engineer I will admit that I made decent money, but the thrill was doing cutting edge science. Military weapons systems employ some of the most advanced science known to mankind. The thrill of being involved in the development of these systems is difficult to describe. We literally developed technologies never before seen by mankind on several occasions. No details will be given, but the opportunity for that kind of intellectual growth is worth more than money. The paycheck allowed me to live comfortably while enjoying one of the most exhilarating careers possible. So, I stand firmly by my earlier assertion: Most scientist want to discover the truth!

Nope. High school drop out here. You made a comfortable amount of money from science by helping develop cutting edge weapons but you could have made more had you chosen another field which proves that most scientists have little interest in money and only want to discover the truth. Who can argue with that?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 am

cactuspete wrote:Nope. Not buying it for a second. I don't know if either of you graduated from college with an advanced degree, but people select their majors because they have a strong interest in a particular subject area. People who care about making lots of money tend not to pick science as their area of study. Sure scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists can make good money, but if your priority is making lots of money there are easier ways of reaching that goal. People who go into the majors I just listed have IQs generally well above 115. They know what they're getting into. As a retired engineer I will admit that I made decent money, but the thrill was doing cutting edge science. Military weapons systems employ some of the most advanced science known to mankind. The thrill of being involved in the development of these systems is difficult to describe. We literally developed technologies never before seen by mankind on several occasions. No details will be given, but the opportunity for that kind of intellectual growth is worth more than money. The paycheck allowed me to live comfortably while enjoying one of the most exhilarating careers possible. So, I stand firmly by my earlier assertion: Most scientist want to discover the truth!

Nope not buying it for a second, as an electrical engineer I must work with other engineers every day. Most today are book smart with zero field experience and not very bright. Catuspete as passionate as your writing is you were probably good at your job. I don’t believe everyone has your passion and that is why there are so many dumb engineers. Not calling you dumb, just most the ones I have worked with the last 40 years.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:28 pm

I think most people are pretty enthusiastic about their future careers while in college, but once they've been working for a few years they've dealt with so much crap that they don't give a darn after awhile. Many get stuck on mundane projects and feel like their talents are being wasted. It might be possible to change careers for some, but for others the opportunities aren't all that attractive. Most people I worked with were good at their job and intelligent. There were a few odd ducks, but most carried their weight and had good attitudes. The ideal scientist is agenda free and just interested in discovering the truth about whatever it is that is being studied. I tend to think that most scientists aspire towards this ideal, but many become cynical and wind up just working for the money or to advance their agenda. A lot can be said about the differences between the hard sciences and the social sciences, but that's a side topic that's even further afield from the topic of this thread.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips