Drip Irrigation

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Drip Irrigation

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Drip Irrigation Tip - Emitter Placement
Here's a helpful tip. The guy shows at the end of the video why the typical way of adding an emitter to a system is not necessarily the best way to do it.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:25 am

Actually when I saw the title " emitter placement" I was expecting him to say something like "don't place the dripper so that it drips directly on the tree because it will rot the bark. " I've always used the flag emitters. They have different color flags for different drip rates. Only problem is there is no standardization and different companies use different colors for different flow rates.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 am

Drought rules may have unexpected consequences
Some of the inflexible watering rules imposed by municipalities seem to be counter-productive and are getting in the way of people being able to install drought-tolerant landscapes.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 am

GreenIQ's smart sprinklers don't do it alone
These look like they could be an improvement over traditional controllers.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:49 am

mrfish: I like the idea of controllers that can be set via wifi from a home computer and monitored on a smartphone. I don't actually own an irrigation system, but I know some people who have systems at their houses and I could see this kind of a system as being a whole lot easier to manage. Of course, it doesn't solve any problems with the actual piping and physical mechanisms, but it does constitute a definite improvement.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun May 15, 2016 8:28 am

$10 Garden Series #9 - How to Install a Drip Irrigation System for Your Garden
Step-by-step starter kit demo for anyone who wants to set up a small backyard garden. Some kind of shade might be necessary for anything you want to grow during the summer and that's not included in the kit!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:19 am

tronagirl: Some sort of shade structure is a good idea for growing just about anything other than the most desert tolerant plants. Shade can make a huge difference since direct summer sun will wilt many plants no matter how much water they are supplied with. The heat will kill off many plants, but direct summer sun will kill even more. Shade gives you that extra degree of latitude when it comes to deciding what plants to grow in your yard.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 am

Smart Sprinkler Controller Comparison: Rachio vs. RainMachine and more
This guy provides a pretty good overview of some of the controllers that are available to consumers.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:36 am

Sprinkler Valve Replacement
I'm having issues with a couple valves. It's a good thing I wasn't out of town on vacation. For future reference this video provides some potentially useful info!
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 am

blackturtle: Depending on whether they were failing as in not delivering water to plants or failing in terms of leaking a lot of water or a combination of both, two weeks out of town could have added up to a whole lot of problems. It's a good thing that you caught it early!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips