Kinetin: From skin cream to tomato blossom set spray

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Kinetin: From skin cream to tomato blossom set spray

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 am

Welcome to another episode of Surfsteve's believe it or not zone.

I was just noticing this morning that two of my tomato plants have tomatoes on them and the rest don't. I had heard that I should buy some tomato blossom set spray because otherwise it gets too hot for them to set fruit.

Before buying I started researching what was in that stuff and the common name for the active ingredient is called kinetin.

When I googled kinetin I discovered that it is not only used to set fruit in tomatoes but it works as a growth regulator on all sorts of plants and that it is even sold in skin creams claiming it has anti aging properties.

Maybe that tomato spray in your garden shed is your ticket to anti aging... Who knew?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Kinetin: From skin cream to tomato blossom set spray

Postby wildrose » Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 am

surfsteve wrote:Welcome to another episode of Surfsteve's believe it or not zone. I was just noticing this morning that two of my tomato plants have tomatoes on them and the rest don't. I had heard that I should buy some tomato blossom set spray because otherwise it gets too hot for them to set fruit. Before buying I started researching what was in that stuff and the common name for the active ingredient is called kinetin. When I googled kinetin I discovered that it is not only used to set fruit in tomatoes but it works as a growth regulator on all sorts of plants and that it is even sold in skin creams claiming it has anti aging properties. Maybe that tomato spray in your garden shed is your ticket to anti aging... Who knew?

Interesting topic, but doesn't this fit under the "Desert Gardening Tips" category better than here? In any case, here are a couple interesting links:
Response of Rockwool-grown Greenhouse Cucumber, Tomato, and Pepper to Kinetin Foliar Sprays
LINK: http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/16/3/493.full.pdf
Kinetin - WikiPedia Entry
Kinetin is currently sold commercially under the trade name "Bonide Tomato and Blossom Set Spray", and can be used to increase yields of various fruits and vegetables, produce seedless fruits, and increase 'budding' of various herbs. Kinetin is also widely used in producing new plants from tissue cultures.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetin
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I thought about putting it in gardening, but it doesn't quite fit there.

An Anti-Aging Cream to Slow Parkinson’s Disease?

The prescribing of kinetin to treat PD is still a long ways off, but in the meantime, says MJFF’s Senior Associate Director of Research Programs Sonal Das, PhD, these findings are good for the field.

https://www.michaeljfox.org/foundation/ ... on-disease
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Fri May 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Plant Hormones
The following WikiPedia link contains info about plant hormones including cytokines.
LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone
BTW, what does this topic have to do with local news? Wildrose is right. It belongs in Gardening or maybe Technology, but not local news.
:offtopic:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Move This Thread

Postby shadylady » Sat May 24, 2014 6:54 am

mrgreen wrote:BTW, what does this topic have to do with local news? Wildrose is right. It belongs in Gardening or maybe Technology, but not local news.
:offtopic:

Agreed. This thread has nothing to do with local news!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Was wondering what happened to this thread. I decided to order a concentrate from ebay that claimed all I had to do was mix it in water and it would make 2 1/2 gallons of set spray at 1/10th the price. I mixed up a little exactly like it was supposed to be. Instead of spraying the blossoms like I did in the past, I sprayed the entire plant. I was very surprised the next time I went back out to look at them. It couldn't have been more than 45 minutes and they seemed to have taken on a different posture. I also sprayed a small spot on my wrist to test. After 20 mins I tried spraying some on my hands and it really did make them look and feel younger. It did the same thing to my face and I was amazed. I also noticed that it speeds up the healing of cuts and scrapes. I'm looking forward to having younger feeling skin and some really good tomatoes this year!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Return to Desert Gardening Tips