Garden Tech

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Garden Tech

Postby tronagirl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:11 am

panamint_patty: That's what I'd call the ultimate in indoor gardening. It would be especially great to have an apparatus like that up in Canada where the winters are dark and cold. Fresh homegrown veggies in the middle of winters would be wonderful, especially up there. But even down here it would be kind of cool as long as it doesn't take a lot of power. At one thousand bucks, I'm not rushing out to get one, but if they put together a DIY kit for say 250 bucks maybe.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 am

Robotic Farming of the Future
This type of technology could solve a lot of problems all at once, some of them technical and some of them social.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon May 14, 2018 6:15 am

wildrose: You're right. Robotic farming would eliminate the need for people to pick fruits and vegetables. That would mean there would be no need for illegal immigrants to work in the fields. Maybe then all this crap about being a sanctuary state would go away and we could return to sensible immigration policy.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am

I've heard that migrant workers make upwards of a hundred dollars a day. I think it's become a myth that only migrant workers want those jobs.

Robotic farming is kind of scary. If the robots do everything, including farming what need will there even be for people? We will have all become obsolete as we are well on our way to becoming, with our only purpose being to play video games on our cell phones. Maybe some day robots will take that over too.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 am

surfsteve: For a long time robots will be used for mindless, repetitive tasks. Performing tasks like that doesn't exactly fill me with a sense of purpose. By freeing people up from such tasks people will be able to do more creative and meaningful things. Of course, it could be that it's best to keep some people busy with mindless tasks. After all, too much creativity could be a bad thing. Too much time could lead people into all sorts of mischief. Like most technological advances it will probably enhance the lives of some and harm the lives of others.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 am

When it comes to computers the old saying used to be garbage in garbage out.

But when it comes to gardening it's more like: garbage in compost out.

Not sure what that has to do with robotic gardening but seeing this thread made me think of it...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 am

tronagirl wrote:Building a Network of Farmers Driven By “What If?”
It's not uncommon for an apple that you buy at the grocery store to be fourteen months old. Freshness and nutrition go hand in hand and so that's not a good thing!
This huge, analog “farm” built by our predecessors is a snarled cats-cradle of crisscrossed strings between origin and destination, shipment and storage. And with the advent of natural-resource scarcity, flattening yields, loss of biodiversity, changing climates, environmental degradation, and booming urban populations, we’re hurtling toward its natural limit.

LINK: https://medium.com/near-future/building-a-network-of-farmers-driven-by-what-if-f093f5c5a305

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some supposedly "fresh" apples are actually three years old. So many apples look perfectly good on the outside, but are mushy and tasteless on the inside. If the mission of the FOOD POLICE were to ensure quality and freshness of food, then I'd be completely in favor of having such a force patrolling grocery stores and keeping them honest.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:12 am

"BATTERY POWERED" WHEELBARROW // DOES IT ACTUALLY WORK?
This seems like it would be nice to have. It's expensive, but it might also save you from injuring your back!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Desert Gardening Tips