Food Is Weird

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Genetically Modified Foods

Postby MojaveMike » Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 am

Monsanto Wins Fight to Take Away State Food Labeling Rights :curse:
Monsanto is at it again. I don't have a problem with GMO's, but I think that consumers have the right to know what they are buying!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Food Is Weird

Postby twister » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Food Is Weird: Understanding Agriculture in the Developing World
Ending world hunger is more complicated than it seems. This is a really good video. This guy does a great job explaining how it all works. He's a famous author who wrote the book that got made into the movie called The Fault in Our Stars.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Food Is Weird

Postby James Sel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 am

Nice subject matter in that video not too twisted
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Bill Gates and John Green Discuss Agriculture
These two guys are putting their heads together to solve real problems that affect people in poor countires!
:thumb:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Where does your food come from?
I would so like to have a garden like that! :thumb:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:50 pm

What's a GMO?
It's hard to believe that many people don't know what GMO stands for, but there's no way of knowing how many people in all had to be interviewed in order to find all the dummies shown in this video.
:funny:
Personally I don't have a problem with GMOs. I realize that for people with nut allergies and other food allergies that GMOs complicate things since, for instance, a gene from a peanut plant could be spliced into the genome of the soy bean plant and as a result a person with nut allergies could, hypothetically, depending on the specific gene transferred, wind up having an allergic reaction to soy beans produced by the genetically modified soy bean plant, but for most people it's not likely to be a big deal. Like any technological innovation there will be good uses and there will be bad uses.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:15 pm

surfsteve: I stopped watching just after twenty mintes. At about 20:05 into the video a lady came on who made some astoundingly stupid claims. My intelligence was insulted at that point and the fact that the people who made the video didn't realize that her claims were nonsense indicated to me that the entire video is BS. (Eating a GMO does not modify your genes or the genes of any other organism! The lady is identified as an M.D., but she seems to be completely clueless when it comes to basic biological principles.)

I see nothing wrong with GMOs. However, I do agree that the legal issues and the predominant business model surrounding GMOs have some major problems. The idea that farmers whose crops are contaminated by pollen from patented plants can't then use their own seeds because to do so constitutes patent infringement is ridiculous. (BTW, this is true whether the plants are the product of direct genetic manipulation or hybridization and so this is not an issue unique to GMOs.) Also using the technology to create plants that are more dependent on chemicals is a REALLY BAD idea. I'm in favor of keeping the use of chemicals at a minimum, but again that's not an issue unique or inherent to GMOs.

If the technology is used wisely it can be a good thing. Monsanto does not seem to be using the technology wisely. And so my beef is not with GMOs, but with Monsanto and other companies like them.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 am

Actually seeds from hybrids can not be saved and used again because they revert back to before they were hybrid. Anybody that has ever used hybrid off spring seeds knows this. Also it has not been proven that eating gm foods does not modify your genes. In fact much of the research I've read indicates that even positive or negative thinking can influence our genes so changing our genes because of the foods we eat is not out of the question.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 am

Here are some videos I came up with. I don't know if belief, lifestyle and diet can actually switch on and off DNA like the videos claim but I do know that they do greatly affect health and well being and that's important enough a reason for me to pay attention to them.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips