Food Is Weird

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Food Is Weird

Postby ergot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:30 pm

From Harvest To Belly
Harvest to belly in under an hour. Sounds really fresh.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Frankenfoods

Postby recluse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Is It Safe To Eat Genetically Modified Animals?
Ever hear of FRANKENFISH? Apparently genes from eels are being imported into the salmon genome to produce a faster growing kind of salmon which will soon be hitting supermarket shelves across the country!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Frankenfoods

Postby BoraxBill » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 am

If it tastes good I'll most likely eat it. I may eventually regret it, but tasty food is hard to resist. I really don't understand the science behind all this genetic modification stuff, but I know the FDA is pretty strict about what they allow into the food supply. I'm not going to go so far as to say that I trust the government, but on this particular issue I feel reasonably confident that the FDA wouldn't allow this kind of genetic alteration if it were harmful or dangerous.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Does the FDA consider almonds 'unhealthy'? :shrug:
Food may be weird, but some of the rules pertaining to food are even weirder!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Just a few bad words in this message.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:02 pm

James Sel wrote:Just a few bad words in this message.

Who has the fucking time to hunt for a dozen exotic ingredients just to eat better!
:laugh:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:22 am

If you are offended by words such as ass, fuck, or bullshit, then this cookbook is not for you. In other words, people who are stupid, retarded assholes probably didn't think this video was very funny! Hahahahahaha!!!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:47 am

Is Lettuce Worse For the Environment Than Bacon?
This is like an exhibition of fallacious reasoning. The value in lettuce is not that it provides calories, but that it provides roughage for the diet. Also transportation issues can be resolved independently of other factors and vary greatly depending on circumstances. Further there are many types of lettuce and they are not all the same. On top of that there are the health costs associated with different types of diets. So, what we're left with is amateur newscasters bending over backwards, performing mental gymnastics in order to warp reality with the sole goal of producing a provocative headline and pseudo-intellectual discussion of something they know nothing about.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby alf » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:17 am

How Momofuku Ando invented instant ramen
This guy named Momofuku Ando wasn't a chef, but that didn't stop him from playing with food and starting what might be considered to be a food revolution.
ALF = Alien Life Form
alf
Greenhorn

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:37 am

EXPOSED: Coca-Cola’s Scam To Keep Kids Drinking Soda
High fructose corn syrup is considered to be the worst source of calories by TYTs. They talk some about how corn subsidies have made it abundant and cheap and how that's been a key cause of obesity. I think they're incorrect on a lot of what they say about diet and exercise. For instance, I'm pretty sure that saturated fat is worse for people than is fructose and certainly the combination of saturated fat and fructose would be extremely unhealthy.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips