Best Psychoactive Plants for the Garden

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Best Psychoactive Plants for the Garden

Postby a2z » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 pm

MARCY PLAYGROUND - Poppies
I don't actually do gardening, but if I did...
(Please feel free to suggest some more plants for my psychoactive garden!)
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Psychoactive Plants for the Garden

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 am

I've heard that morning glory seeds are supposed to do something of a psychoactive nature. Okay so I just looked it up. They contain a chemical that is similar to LSD that's supposed to cause hallucinations. Some of the names of the different varieties make it sound kind of like something druggies might come up with: Heavenly Blue, Pearly Gates, Flying Saucers, Wedding Bells, Summer Skies, and Blue Stars.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:48 am

Fun topic! Here are a few others to help get the party started! Salvia, fennel, Mexican marigold, yellow horned poppy, Mexican prickly poppy, kava, datura, peyote, wormwood, mosaic plant, joint fir, ice plant, and don't forget MAGIC MUSHROOMS!!!!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:55 am

I know a lady in Fresno who is a poppy fanatic. She has all sorts of fancy poppies including opium poppies growing in her yard. Apparently it's perfectly legal to grow them just as long as you don't attempt to extract the juice from the seed pods. Poppies are the most amazing flowers and a large yard full of them is quite an experience!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby farmerbob » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:31 am

I ain't no damn druggie, but I do believe that each and every plant that God gave to humankind is a plant that anyone and everyone should be allowed to grow in their yard or garden or farm or whatever. Plants should not be subjugated to the legal system. Period.
farmerbob
Greenhorn

Re: Best Psychoactive Plants for the Garden

Postby surfsteve » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 am

Ginseng?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:21 am

The poppy that grows wild around here supposedly contains everybit as much opiate as the poppies they grow in Afghanistan and such. Just chewing the seeds is supposed to get a person high, but I'm sure the sap can be collected the same as with opium poppies. I don't want to see anyone damaging the poppies, but there's a ton of them. BTW, I'm not talking about the little poppies with the yellow flowers. What I'm talking about are the ones with the big white flowers and the yellow centers.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:13 am

Hopefully the stoners don't all go out into the desert and start eating the poppies with the white flowers. It could be an ecological disaster with an entire species wiped out of existence! Oh wait... these are stoners... They're more likely to get lost and die of dehydration than actually find the plant and so there's nothing to worry about! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 am

What I've heard is that some parts of the country have laws regarding what you can grow in your yard, but that these laws vary drastically from locality to locality. Does anyone know where you can find out about such laws for the Trona area? I did a couple searches, but came out without anything that provided any useful information. Maybe I'm not using the right words in my searches, but it's also likely that there isn't any relevant info online. Any help would be most appreciated.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 pm

To partially answer my own question, here is a list of plants regulated in NEW YORK:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/isprohibitedplants2.pdf
This doesn't specifically address San Bernardino County or California, however.
This site looks interesting:
http://legalizeplants.com/
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips