Tomatoes!

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Tomatoes

Postby tronagirl » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am

Now would be a good time to plant tomatoes. It'll be hot soon and so cherry tomatoes are really the only choice that makes sense around here. But the plants should thrive up until mid-June and after that shade and plenty of water will be absolutely essential!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Tomatoes

Postby mrfish » Mon May 06, 2019 8:22 am

Little salad tomatoes just don't do it for me. I like big juicy tomatoes that I can slice nice and thick for a sandwich. Lots of little ones don't work that well in a sandwich!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Tomatoes!

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 07, 2019 5:59 am

The little tomatoes are a lot easier to grow out here because they don't crack as much from being in the hot dry sun. March would have been the ideal time to set out tomatoes. I would even try planting seeds in February. May is ideal in northern climates. May 27th was the average last frost date in Denver. Most people would set them out two weeks before that and cover them if there was a frost warning. If you are planting seeds you can keep replanting every two weeks. Generally the benefits outweigh the risks and hassle of replanting.

In another month all the big tomatoes will be cracking in Trona. I had one plant, near the plant that grew for 2 years and produced tomatoes all year around. It was on the south side of the building and I think the steam from the plant kept it from freezing in the winter months. It was a cherry tomato plant. In the hot months nearly every tomato was cracked but the rest of the year they were ok. When I lived in Pioneer point though my plants would freeze. It's amazing how much difference just a mile or two would make.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Hothouse Tomatoes

Postby sandman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:37 am

It's getting pretty cold for tomatoes outside, but that doesn't mean you can't grow them inside. Just like they grow marijuana inside with grow lights and other fancy indoor gardening gear, tomatoes will thrive under the right conditions and you can control those conditions with incredible precision when growing tomatoes indoors. Of course, your electric bill might go up a bit unless you have solar panels.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 am

sandman: Actually tomatoes are one of the plants that law enforcement confuses with marijuana when they are doing aerial surveillance for grow operations. Less of an issue now with legalization, but in the old days the drug agents in the helicopters had a hard time telling the difference. The two plants are very similar in color.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby rainbow » Fri May 21, 2021 7:53 pm

CactusHugger wrote:Why a German lab is growing tomatoes in urine
If you think I'm eating one of those tomatoes, then URINE sane!!!
In his lab, there is plenty more urine swilling around – in vats, funnels and hoses. Most of the urine is artificial – mixed so the scientists know the exact chemical composition for their experiments – but some comes from human volunteers. The walls are lined with grey plastic drain pipes, attached to plastic boxes full of bubbling artificial urine. At the centre of the room, larger terracotta-coloured pipes rise from plastic barrels of urine.

LINK: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170308-why-a-german-lab-is-growing-tomatoes-in-urine

4 Weird Human Urine Uses in the Garden
It might sound a little disgusting, but I'm sure the tomatoes taste just fine! :yum2:
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby dilbert » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 am

A Taste Test Should Solve The Issue
Present people with two tomatoes and have them try a little of each. See if people can accurately identify which tomato was fertilized with urine. Repeat this experiment with 100 people and see what the results are. It's highly doubtful that people can reliably tell the difference between the two batches of tomatoes. Does the thought that urine was used to fertilize the tomatoes seem a little gross and disgusting? Yes, BUT if the fruit tastes fine, then there's no reason not to dine!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Previous

Return to Desert Gardening Tips