Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 am

panamint_patty wrote:Like most people I don't have time to watch the entire video posted by surfsteve, but I did pop around and I listened to short segments of the video. Nothing I heard the lady say was new and everything I heard her say was in line with what Dr. Gregor says in his nutritionfacts.org videos. The advantage of Dr. Gregor is that he keeps his videos down to about four minutes or less. That makes it a lot easier to find topical info!

Dr Gregor gives me the impression that all you have to do is eat vegan and everything will be optimal. I think the woman in the video I posted takes Gregor's work a few steps further and explains the whys and whats. While Gregor simply reads studies that agree with his philosophy Brenda Davis actually contacts the people that write them and gets to the bottom. She is also very objective and gives the good with the bad for example she is willing to admit that roasting soy beans makes them almost as bad as roasted meat, while at the same time saying cooking increases the nutrition of some vegetables while others are better raw. I could be wrong but I don't get the feeling that she's cherry picking her studies the way Dr. Gregor does. At the very least she has inspired me to re think about some of my hard core beliefs. I did watch another of her hour long videos on optimal diet instead of raw foods and I have to admit I was disappointed that it was pretty much the same video as the other one.

In take away I feel that perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to give up eating legumes and that I should probably go back to sprouting. I felt really good when I did that. Perhaps I will pick up some bean sprouts next time I'm at the market and I could begin to do both. Bean sprouts are pretty much the only way you can eat legumes raw without getting sick. I miss my vernal alfalfa sprouts. Last time a few years ago I tried to buy them and wasn't able to find any that didn't cost a fortune. Perhaps I will try again. I also am interested in trying broccoli sprouts. Winter is coming up and perhaps I will have better luck getting them to grow here in Trona than in the summer. If anybody is interested in sprouting: One of the tricks I've learned is to add a little peroxide to the water when rinsing them. Not only does it keep them from getting moldy but it also helps remove the shells by "bubbling" them off.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 am

Here's another half hour video, on why you shouldn't eat conventional vegetable oils. If you want to save a half hour just don't eat them but if you want to know why and all the details; watch the video!

Nina Teicholz - 'Vegetable Oils: The Unknown Story'
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

If you want to save yourself half an hour this video suggests how studies are fudged and a lot of spokes persons like Dr. Gregor are paid big bucks to promote their views and that red meat isn't actually bad for you. If you want to find out why they believe this then give it a watch. Odd that I didn't go looking for this video. Actually it just showed up on Youtube's recommended videos.

Nina Teicholz - 'Red Meat and Health'
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 am

I can read endless testimonials from people on both sides claiming they got better after switching to either a carnivore or a completely plant based diet but I challenge anyone to find even a single testimonial from someone claiming that they got better or cured their disease by switching to a processed food based diet from an all natural one...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:45 pm

I have hunted a lot in the Midwest and a little further north in the Dakotas. I hunt pheasants and they are found on farms more than most natural areas. Fortunately farmers have provided lodging at their farms like bed and breakfast so you are located near the birds. So getting to the point when we get to the dining room for breakfast and dinner most meals are meat and vegetables including bacon,gravy,and potatoes. Those cooking and working those farms are strong as an ox and many are old. Simple basic home grown food. Can't really explain the tobacco use tho.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Do you know if they grew their own tobacco or was it produced from the giant tobacco companies?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:34 pm

I wonder if organic tobacco has ever been a thing...
After all natural tobacco probably is not as much of a health hazard as is the chemical blend of ingredients concocted by "big tobacco" to keep people hooked on their products.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:10 am

Ahh we may be on to something here. But the farmers were pulling from a package
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 am

I googled organic tobacco for sale and looked at a couple of results.

Found this comment on one of the websites quite interesting. Though it wasn't about organic it was about a natural version of tobacco from a company that sold the regular stuff too so it's probably accurate.
I have tried TGS menthol, menthol gold, red and natural... by far the worst one was natural. First off the smell is not pleasant at all, almost has a vomit like scent to it, or the smell of slightly rotted grass from the green waste bin after a day or two sitting. Tastes isn't as bad as the smell, but it is far from anything I would ever want to smoke regularly. Has no natural sweetness, and virtually has no taste at all besides a dry, burnt taste, reminiscent of burning dry grass clippings from the lawn. If this is what natural tobacco tastes like, I will take the chemicals any-day of the week!

https://www.smokersoutletonline.com/goo ... oduct-tabs

Apparently it's not so much the tobacco it's self that is addicting but the chemicals added to it. I'm starting to get the feeling that the same thing is true in the food industry and that it probably also has more to do whether a food is healthy or not than the actual food it's self does.

I agree. I think we are on to something! I got a hunch that the reason both carnivores and vegans both make amazing health claims after switching has more to do with this.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 am

Been thinking about this a little more and the connection between tobacco and cancer. Cancer seems to be a relatively new common disease and yet people have been smoking tobacco products for a very long time. I wonder if we did some digging if we would find that the connection between the to didn't start until tobacco companies started competing with each other in order to make their products more addictive. The whole thing seems to be connected to the food industry as well. Especially the food oil industry. But they are not alone when it comes to adding chemicals and adulterating our food supply.

The whole thing has prompted me to reconsider spending extra to buy grassfed beef instead of conventional. One of my main beef staples I eat is liver and when I called a few weeks ago to all the stores in the area to inquire none of them returned my call but I did find a source in Tehachapi, called J&J Grassfed, today that claims to sell it. I already buy only wild caught seafood. Which when frozen is actually even cheaper than farmed when bought fresh. Also I don't buy organic vegetables but I was thinking maybe I would go all organic and grassfed for at least a month as an experiment, just to see how I feel and see from there if I want to continue...

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&ei ... pRpxbYlfNI
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips