Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:35 am

Dear Patty,

I googled Greggor's Daily Dozen and watched the video. One thing that strikes me odd is that he never once mentioned any kind of scientific studies about the vegetables he recommends. Why does he always mention them in his other videos demonizing meat? He only briefly mentions potatoes, giving only the obvious example of a “potato only” diet being unbalanced. Also I don't recall him ever mentioning GMO's, wheat intolerance, gluten sensitivity or the differences between organic and conventional farming. Rather than go into any detail he seems to take a Dr. Seuss approach to the subject.

Might I point out that it is virtually impossible to get an adequate amount of either of the two vitamins you mentioned naturally in the diet and that the highest source of b12 is liver and the highest source of vitamin D besides sunlight is fish? Fact is, if they didn't (chemically) add these vitamins to foods virtually everyone would suffer from malnutrition.

Speaking of potatoes which he mentioned in the video I don't recall him ever mentioning nightshade intolerance which I was coincidentally just researching yesterday, wondering if I might have myself. Many believe long term nightshade consumption is the primary cause of arthritis.

Here are highlights of the more interesting nightshade links I was looking at yesterday if anyone is interested:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-top ... ghtshades/

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/link-b ... flammation

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-a ... arthritis/

https://blog.paleohacks.com/nightshades/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Interesting: This video came up on my recommendations from Greggor

Why Are So Many People Abandoning Vegan Diet?
Plant Based Science London
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:11 am

DAILY DOZEN: There is a summary video and list on the website about the daily dozen. There are also several videos focusing on each of the items on the daily dozen list. What's awesome about Dr. Gregor is that each individual video is short and that makes it easy to find specific info on specific items without the need to skip through ridiculously long videos. In my opinion, hiding info in a long video is not at all helpful.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 am

I guess Dr. Gregor has quite a gimmick going on. He wont come out and say vegan diet, even though that's what he promotes. He always uses the term plant based. In my mind I picture a huge salad on a plate as the base, with a scoop of meat on top like the cheff's salad I had for dinner last night! Even though it looked like it was 90% vegetables by volume it was probably closer to 10% if it were measured by calories.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 am

surfsteve: In these days when charlatons are so common, science-based anything might seem like a gimmick to some, but that's not how I see it. I've never seen anyone talk about diet in a more science-based manner than Dr. Gregor... other than perhaps a college professor, but that gets a little dry for my taste!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 am

Speaking of taste have you ever tried Natto?

It is by far the richest source of vitamin K on the planet. It's taste reminds me of a cross between chocolate carob and brie cheese.

I've been ordering it dry and powdered but ran out after getting addicted to it. I went to the oriental grocery store between Subway and Walgreens to buy some. They didn't have it dried but they had fresh natto in one of the refrigerator cases. It is very expensive so I am trying to learn how to make it and came across this video. I should probably start an entire thread on natto but I'm afraid that I am probably the only one here that would be interested in it.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Here's one vegan that I have a lot of respect for...

The Perfect Diet And How Do You Keep Your Bones Strong? by Brian Clement
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:00 am

What Are The Top 10 Ingredients In A Disease-Fighting Diet? by Brenda Davis
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Is Our Food Becoming Less Nutritious?

Postby surfsteve » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:20 am

(Why) Is Our Food Becoming Less Nutritious?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Teff: The grain UC Davis researchers want you to know about
I look forward to trying this interesting grain which is commonly grown in Ethiopia.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips