Plant Genetics

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plant Genetics

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Onion Genetics
Onions are more genetically complex than humans! Who knew? :thumb:
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:51 am

wildrose: Genetic complexity is more of an accident of nature than a sign that an organism is more advanced. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the human genome could be shrunk to about five percent of it's current size without any loss of functionality. Not that we currently have the technology to achieve that feat, but as synthetic biology advancements occur eventually that becomes something that could be done.
MojaveMike
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Analyzing Encelia molecular phylogeny with the aid of genbank and BLAST
Here's a video from my favorite YouTube channel. Most of the videos this guy does are in the field, but this video is particularly fascinating. The name of the channel is Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't. Some of his videos contain foul language which some people might not like.
blackturtle.us
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 am

Interesting video! I watched a few other videos from that channel and you're right about the cussing. The guy really knows his stuff! And he really gets out there and visits lots of places in search of interesting plants. Apparently he's a botanist by profession, but I wonder if his travels are connected to his job. He was back east a couple weeks ago and his most recent videos are in Nevada. Interesting guy to say the least!
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to General Environment and Nature