Coyotes

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Coyotes

Postby wildrose » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Coyote attacks cause Colorado Springs residents to question wildlife policies
I've noticed that coyotes often hang out by the side of the highway in and around Death Valley. I've even seen a few people stopping to take their pictures and offering them food in order to coax them closer to their cars. From what I've heard this is not very smart. Although the person doing the feeding may not be harmed, as a result of this kind of behavior coyotes become more and more emboldened and some become aggressive. This can over time lead to an animal even becoming aggressive enough to attack someone. Although coyotes are by nature timid, with enough contact with humans they can become aggressive and someone (especially small children) could be mauled.
Soccer dad Dennis Mesward reports confronting an aggressive coyote while walking with his golden retriever at Gossage. “I was surprised how brazen this coyote was as he stood 15 feet in front of us and was creeping toward us,” Mesward said in a Facebook message. “Definitely no fear of humans.”

LINK:
http://blogs.gazette.com/sidestreets/2013/05/30/coyote-attacks-cause-colorado-springs-residents-to-question-wildlife-policies/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Coyotes

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am

I've always referred to coyotes as four-legged chickens, but a coyote that is not afraid of humans could be dangerous. That's especially true if we're talking about small humans such as children. People who feed coyotes because they think coyotes are cute are stupid fools and should be heavily fined for such thoughtless behavior. People need to think about the implications of their behavior a little bit more carefully!
:mad2:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 pm

MojaveMike wrote:I've always referred to coyotes as four-legged chickens, but a coyote that is not afraid of humans could be dangerous. That's especially true if we're talking about small humans such as children. People who feed coyotes because they think coyotes are cute are stupid fools and should be heavily fined for such thoughtless behavior. People need to think about the implications of their behavior a little bit more carefully!
:mad2:

I'm much more likely to use those worthless scavengers for target practice than feed them, but tourists think they're so neat! :roll2:
Most likely the same people who would shoot their neighbor's dog in a heartbeat because it barks too much, think that coyotes are what counts as wildlife. Spend some time around here and they'd realize that coyotes are as worthless as rabbits or any other vermin. Run 'em over and you're doing everyone a favor!
:laugh:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 am

Colorado Man Fights Off Three Coyotes, Survives
It's not often that coyotes become aggressive towards humans, but when they lose their fear of humans bad things happen!

wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:41 am

Coyotes Coming Out of the Wild and Into Neighborhoods
This is a followup report to the previous post. It talks about what to do if you're attacked by a coyote. They recommend carrying a large stick or an air horn. I think I'd go with bear spray. Teach the stupid coyote a lesson for messing with me!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 am

Pepper spray ain't a bad idea, but I think I'd go with a shotgun. There ain't much that's more worthless than a coyote anyways and so it's probably best just to shoot them and be gone with the stupid things, rather than try to teach them anything!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:04 am

'Haligator' Faces Jail Time for Close Encounters With Deadly Alligators
It all seems like fun and games at first until you realize that people like this are setting others up for trouble. Don't feed wild animals! That's goes double for animals capable of injurying humans. Although you might enjoy the gratifying experience, others may pay for your thoughtlessness!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:32 am

Coyote Snatches Dog Inside Laguna Beach Home
Not exactly what I'd call a tragedy, but rich folk in Laguna Beach feel "victimized" when something like this happens to them.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby ergot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Mushroom Tripping Coyotes Attacking Cars :pac:
Most of the time it's just coyotes who have lost their fear of humans (mostly due to humans giving them food scraps), but maybe some of the time it's something a little more interesting.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 am

ergot: As if we don't have enough problems already and now we have to worry about coyotes getting high? What's the world coming to? LOL Luckily we don't have magic mushrooms growing around here, but I'm sure there are other hallucinagenic plants around here. Hopefully the local coyotes JUST SAY NO to drugs!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to General Environment and Nature