Plastic Bag Ban

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Postby sandman » Wed May 07, 2014 7:34 am

Littering is not something we should tolerate, but I don't see that as a justification for a plastic bag ban. Put some money into clean up efforts and into enforcing laws against littering. Banning things is a police state tactic to solving problems and the nanny state is the next closest thing to a police state and so maybe we should do something to reverse the trend!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Wed May 07, 2014 11:30 pm

sandman wrote:Littering is not something we should tolerate, but I don't see that as a justification for a plastic bag ban. Put some money into clean up efforts and into enforcing laws against littering. Banning things is a police state tactic to solving problems and the nanny state is the next closest thing to a police state and so maybe we should do something to reverse the trend!

I agree we should lift the ban on CFC's too and DDT
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 am

The nanny state is just a transitional phase towards a police state and it looks like an inevitability at this time. People are so complacent and some even seem grateful for laws that protect them and that force others to behave. Pretty soon we'll all be a bunch of mindless robots programmed to behave in accordance with the will of the almighty police state. It's just a matter of time.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 am

CrustyOldFart wrote:The nanny state is just a transitional phase towards a police state and it looks like an inevitability at this time. People are so complacent and some even seem grateful for laws that protect them and that force others to behave. Pretty soon we'll all be a bunch of mindless robots programmed to behave in accordance with the will of the almighty police state. It's just a matter of time.

So what is the better solution? Stepping up funding for law enforcement to control litter. Or banning merchants from using plastic bags. Both involve regulations.
Perhaps plastic are not a problem that you are aware of and the exponential growth of this issue

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 am

James Sel: The best solution is just to enforce laws against littering. No need for more officers, just make it a priority. Lots of wasted law enforcement time spent enforcing laws we don't need or that we at least shouldn't prioritize. Redirect existing resources to deal with littering. Or maybe public awareness campaigns to encourage people to be more careful with plastic bags. No need for any new regulations, but banning bags is the wrong way to go.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 am

Let the people vote through their actions. People who want to reduce the use of plastic bags can purchase reusable bags or they can use paper bags. People who don't want to reduce the use of plastic bags can keep on using them. It's simple and it respects everybody's rights. As for litterbugs, there are plenty of laws against littering and so I just don't see the problem here.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby BallaratBob » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:47 am

I don't really care what they do in Los Angeles or Chicago just as long as I can still get my plastic bags when I go shopping. The problem is that whatever happens in big cities usually finds its way into small towns eventually due to the influence of the huge number of people in big cities.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby James Sel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 am

:thumb:
BallaratBob wrote:I don't really care what they do in Los Angeles or Chicago just as long as I can still get my plastic bags when I go shopping. The problem is that whatever happens in big cities usually finds its way into small towns eventually due to the influence of the huge number of people in big cities.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:55 am

"Old School Green" by Old Fart Rants :roll2:
Not saying that I agree with more than 50% of what this guy has to say, but he does provide an interesting perspective.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:05 pm

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature