Plastic Bag Ban

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 am

Biodegrable plastic made out of...what?!
Biodegradable is a good idea as long as it doesn't breakdown too fast! :thumb:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:57 am

cactuspete wrote:Biodegradable is a good idea as long as it doesn't breakdown too fast! :thumb:

As long as they last long enough to get the groceries from the store to my house without breaking, I'm happy.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Gov. Brown says he will sign bill that would ban plastic grocery bags
Sounds like no more free bags. I'm less than happy with this. I think that the "problem" of plastic bags is greatly exaggerated.
The hotly contested bill, strongly supported by environmentalists, would allow stores to charge customers 10 cents for paper or reusable plastic bags as an alternative. Similar bans are already in place in more than 100 California cities and counties, including Los Angeles County and San Francisco. Those regulations would remain intact. Once signed by the governor, the ban on plastic bags would kick in for grocery stores and pharmacies on July 1, 2015, and extend to convenience stores and liquor stores a year later.

LINK: http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-brown-plastic-bags-ban-20140904-story.html
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:23 am

wildrose: Sounds like the environazis won this one unless there is some way to challenge the law in court. It does seem like an unnecessary restriction of freedom without justification!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby jarhead » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 am

I'm sick of the environazis always getting their way. They put taxes on gas, whine about global warming, close roads in the desert, make it difficult to get a permit to build anything, and now they want to take our plastic bags away too. There's nothing too petty for them to mess with. All they want to do is tell other people what to do. Plain and simple.
jarhead
Greenhorn

Postby desertrat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:55 am

California's plastic bag ban is on hold :thumb:
I'm voting against the ban. I'm tired of lawmakers deciding what I can and can't do. Plastic bags are convenient and everyone I know just takes their bags back to the store for recycling. The problem is with people who litter, not with the bags!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 am

desertrat: Thanks for the good news! Every now and then the government responds to the will of the people. Unfortunately it's usually over something relatively trivial like this, but at least this is something. I don't like to see trash any less than anyone else, but banning bags is the wrong way to deal with the problem.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sierra_jim » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:36 am

I for one would like to see the plastic bag ban go into effect. We humans need to be more cognizant of the effect we have on the earth and we should strive to develop sustainable solutions to the environmental problems we cause. Giving up plastic and paper bags and using bags that can be reused is an easy change to make and will be good for the environment. We humans should be willing to make small sacrifices for the sake of the environment.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby jarhead » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:22 am

sierra_jim: I'd say that plastic bags are a sustainable solution and that we should stick with them. You can shop all year and save all your bags and they compact down to something smaller than a basketball. That's what I call efficient use of resources. I can see your complaint about paper bags, but plastic bags are what I'd call environmentally friendly!
jarhead
Greenhorn

Don't Blame the Bags!

Postby sandman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:17 am

jarhead: I agree that plastic bags ARE environmentally friendly. If you dispose of them properly or turn them into the recycling bin in front of most of the major stores there's no problem. The only time there's a problem is when people litter. Litterbugs are the problem. Don't blame the bags!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature