California Drought

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: California Drought

Postby mrgreen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 pm

cactuspete wrote:I think it's a good idea to wait until April. That way all the info about reservoir levels will be in. As for the ship sinking analogy, I don't think that's the best analogy to use here. It's more like a bottle being filled up with water. You can't declare the bottle full just because water is flowing into it. You have to wait until the water level reaches the top of the bottle before you can say it's full.

Considering what's happening with the Oroville Reservoir, I'd say that the bottle is more than full. If we were talking cups instead of bottles, I'd say that the cup has runneth over!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:52 pm

California sees lowest drought numbers in years :conf3:
It's one extreme to the other. After several years of drought, we're now on track to have our wettest year on record.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:08 pm

A 'Beast' is lurking high in the sky above California | 33 degrees from insanity!
I'm betting that the snows will gradually melt and that there won't be any major flooding. Although it is possible that a catastrophe could occur, I don't think the probability of that is very likely. There will be some issues, but nothing that will cause mass destruction.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 pm

ergot wrote:A 'Beast' is lurking high in the sky above California | 33 degrees from insanity!
I'm betting that the snows will gradually melt and that there won't be any major flooding. Although it is possible that a catastrophe could occur, I don't think the probability of that is very likely. There will be some issues, but nothing that will cause mass destruction.

Actually I was sort of hoping that Sacramento would be wiped off the face of the earth. I wouldn't miss Bakersfield either, BTW
:smokin:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dilbert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:17 am

mrgreen: Those are definitely two of my least favorite cities too, although I do know a few people living in both cities who I'd hate to see go through any kind of a castrophe. If there's going to be flooding though the weather we're having now could get the process started!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Sugar Bowl Resort sees record-breaking snow totals
Snow as deep as they are reporting at this resort will last easily into June, maybe even July!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:31 am

I can't remember when California was going to wait till to announce the drought is finally over. Was it on April fools day?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 am

we will probably remain officially in drought status until a state of emergency due to flooding is announced. It'll be one of those good-news-bad-news kind of things. It'll go like this: Well the good news is that the drought is over, but...
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dilbert » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 am

How the snowmelt could be causing earthquakes in the Sierra
Weight of the snow? Changing aquifer volumes? Water moving through crevices in the earth? Who knows? Maybe it's all just coincidental.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:41 am

How climate change is leading to a longer Calif. wildfire season
The last half of this weather report is pertinent to this thread. A long-term forecast is made predicting a 10-15% drop in the annual precipitation for California over the next decade or two.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature