California Drought

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: California Drought

Postby recluse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:29 am

Why The Ocean Can’t Fix The Drought
Based on the info in this clip I'd say that desalination could put more than just a significant dent in the water shortage problem. It might not "fix the drought" but build enough of these plants and the deficit could be made up for.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby hungrybill » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:34 am

recluse: Sure desalination plants won't fix the drought, but they sure as heck can solve the water shortage problem. Build enough of them and all the coastal cities can be water independent. They won't have to drain water from other parts of the state and cause problems for those localities. It should have been done long ago!
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 am

I wonder what is more important to California, allocate money to a Super Train or desalination plants on the coast? I understand we have to build the train to receive Pork Belly monies from the feds. It just seems like that money is going down a dry drain.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Who Is Sucking Water Out Of California Without A Permit? :yup:
This is actually pretty funny! The mock commercial is definitely worth a few chuckles anyways!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:51 am

mrgreen: I think the water the Nestle Company is using is a tiny drop in the bucket when it comes to the water shortage, but that was a pretty funny fake commercial there at the end of the video. I didn't think Al Jazeera was capable of producing anything at all humorous. They must have hired out-of-house for their AJ+ channel!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 am

I think you are missing the irony. Nestle is one of the biggest complainers about the water shortage yet they are one of the biggest water wasters and one of the biggest profiteers due to the water shortage they are helping create.

Now lets all join hands and sing along: :nopity:
Who's the biggest hypocrite?
When it comes to environment?
Nestle!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Who is Using Up California's Water? | #theBrief | TIME :wtf:
Residential water use accounts for a very small amount of California's total water use. Even if home owners cut back the full amount mandated by Gov. Brown that only will account for a TWO PERCENT savings statewide! It seems that an awful lot of people are going to be harassed for hardly any water savings!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 am

The idea that environmental projects can be considered to be consumers of water is preposterous. Leaving water in the natural environment is just basically conservation and should not be construed as consumption. We can't take water away from agriculture because our food supply must be perserved and so the only logical place to save water is in urban areas. There is one huge flaw in the logic of a statewide mandated reduction however, and that is that not all areas get their water from sources which are directly impacted by the drought. Only those areas which are directly impacted by the drought should be subject to mandated reductions.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:24 am

Across the board every water user in California should be required to cut back by TWO PERCENT. Whether it's environmental projects, home owners, corporations, businesses, municipalities, farmers, ranchers, you name it, everybody should just cut back by the same amount. That amount wouldn't need to be more than TWO PERCENT if everybody had to do it. The burden should not be on home owners. That's unfair and quite simply ridiculous!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 am

wildrose: I like the even-handed approach. It's practical, fair, effective, and it doesn't inconvenience anyone enough to be a major hassle. Incentives for people who do a really good job at saving water is a good idea too. Resorting to punitive measures or rationing is not the way to go.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature