Trona Railroad

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Trona Railroad

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 am

I've been stuck a few times at this crossing, but it's not usually been for too long although when you're in a hurry any delay is an unwelcome delay.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:21 pm

TS2019 Rail Disasters: Runaway Train (1989 San Bernardino train wreck)
Interesting double disaster caused by bad brakes.
The San Bernardino train wreck was a combination of two separate but related incidents that occurred in San Bernardino, California, United States. With the runaway train derailment of SP 7551 East, a train carrying trona on May 12, 1989. And the subsequent failure on May 25, 1989, of the Calnev Pipeline, a petroleum pipeline adjacent to the tracks which was damaged by earth-moving equipment during the crash cleanup.

dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:54 am

Hard to believe that just a 2% downgrade could accelerate a train to over 100 MPH.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 am

And by the time the train derailed wasn't it at the bottom of the grade and shouldn't it have been slowing down? I know the area around Cajon Pass only as a result of driving through there a few times and maybe I'm under-estimating how steep it is at the bottom or maybe I'm misunderstanding where the derailment actually occurred. But yeah, I agree that the claimed speed is hard to believe.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 am

This video makes me wonder if there are any tracks around here that might be suitable for such an undertaking...

Railbiking in Retirement, a once in a lifetime adventure.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local History