Trona Bloody Trona

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Trona Bloody Trona

Postby twister » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:52 am

Everything I've heard from people I've talked to indicates that this book is not worth reading. It's overly negative and portrays job creators in a negative manner. It's not wise to bite the hand that feeds. Always be grateful for those who help keep the economy strong!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 am

twister: The so-called job creators are the ones who owe the workers a huge debt of gratitude, not the other way around. Without workers the so-called job creators would have no one to do all the work. The book does a good job of showing how your job creators use the legal system to cheat workers out of their fair share of revenue gained from their labor and don't you ever forget it!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 am

The book is doing pretty well on Amazon. It's rated at 4.3 on a five point scale. Lots of great comments. It's great that the truth about how corporations squash unions has been so well documented.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 am

Finished the book. It took me a while longer than it should have, but I got distracted part way through and didn't read it for a while before getting back to it and finishing it. It's one of the better books that I've read. It was both informative and enjoyable. I have more respect than ever for labor unions after reading this book!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby recluse » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 am

It took me a few weeks to find the time to make it all the way through this book, but make it I did and I must say it was a good read. I learned quite a bit about labor struggles in Searles Valley and a bit about the character of the town. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of Trona.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby drdesert » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 am

Started the book two years ago. Finished the book yesterday. Whoever invented bookmarks deserves a lot of credit for me finally finishing. I liked the book, but I have a really inconsistent schedule and something always seems to come up. Anyways I recommend the book and another book I liked a lot was Emmett C. Harder's book called These Canyons Are Full Of Ghosts. I started both books about the same time and finished both within a week of each other. Like I said, bookmarks deserve a lot of credit for that accomplishment! LOL
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby pdm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm

This book came to my attention a few years ago and I finally got a copy in 2016 and read it within about a week. It was pretty interesting and it really made me think about how the wealthy and influential are able to throw their weight around. Workers need every advantage they can get to avoid being taken advantage of by employers!
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 am

Paul Henry Abram, Author of 'Trona, Bloody Trona', on Central Valley Business
This is from back in 2015. Not sure why I didn't see this earlier, but it's interesting one way or the other.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:12 am

I started reading this book last week and I really like it so far. Lots of stuff happened in Trona that no one talks about. The books says a lot about how Trona got to be the way it is. It also says a lot about how big companies can throw their weight around and how corrupt politicians will cater to their every need.
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 am

I think another example of corporations throwing their weight around currently is Disney in the City of Anaheim.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local History