Fish Rocks

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Fish Rocks

Postby tronagirl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:59 am

Mojave Mysteries Solved: Fish Rocks and Trona Pinnacles
This is kind of thrown together and poorly narrated and poorly edited, but I ran across it and so I might as well post it.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:15 am

tronagirl: You're too kind, but one obvious improvement would have been to make two shorter videos.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

twister and tronagirl: I'm in agreement, but YouTube is where people post stuff and I think posting videos becomes a compulsion for some people. Some people get crazy and post almost daily even if they don't have anything worth posting.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 am

There are hundreds of Fish Rocks and Trona Pinnacles videos on YouTube. Both are visible from paved road and both are out of the way enough by most people's standards to be noteworthy. Anyone who posts travel vlogs of Southern California is sooner or later going to get around to posting one or the other or both, together or separately or in a compilation along with other sites. It's inevitable.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby drdesert » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 am

mrfish: Roadside landmarks are what travel vlogs are made of. They're low-hanging fruit and amateur vloggers are bound to make travel vlogs featuring such sites. Most YouTube vloggers run out of interesting material pretty quickly and so they rely on sites like Fish Rocks or the Trona Pinnacles to provide material for them to make boring videos about. In a half year the video tronagirl included has less than 200 views. No money being made on that video, but as a hobby it's at least something to do.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:26 am

drdesert: That video is up to slightly more than 500 views now and it's been over five years now. I think that's the fate of most videos about roadside attractions. They're just not that interesting to begin with.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local History