Local Cabins

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Local Cabins

Postby sandman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 am

Local Cabins
My favorite topic from the old forum was the one about local cabins. There was a lot of good information there. I know some people think that those of us who know about them should keep them secret, but I think all the reasons that people give in support of that idea are nothing more than self-serving bullshit. Excuse my French!
:roll2:
LINK: http://www.blackturtle.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24&sid=dea6c9ce7c17ed427e6e897cf6a86f7b
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Local Cabins

Postby James Sel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm

sandman wrote:Local Cabins
My favorite topic from the old forum was the one about local cabins. There was a lot of good information there. I know some people think that those of us who know about them should keep them secret, but I think all the reasons that people give in support of that idea are nothing more than self-serving bullshit. Excuse my French!
LINK: http://www.blackturtle.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24&sid=dea6c9ce7c17ed427e6e897cf6a86f7b

The people in the know understand the dangers of posting there locations on the internet. you can find a cabin that was in the ADC program up at Ruth Mine its not there anymore from a fire and there are more that have burn down and or vandalized. I wish you would learn more about the cabins and reconsider you point of view.

http://boxcarcabin.com/mmff.htm

Here another story
Hello everyone. On September 24, we spent some time cleaning up one of the old mining cabins off Saline Valley Road. At that time we documented an antique 3-burner stove in the cabin. When we returned to the cabin on November 6, the stove was gone. This really sucks. (Click on the links below to see pics of the stove -- I can't figure out how to embed the images in the post! One pic shows the stove with the lid closed, and the other shows it with the lid open.)

We would like nothing more than to see the stove returned to the cabin, and we would be willing to travel anywhere in Southern California to pick it up. If that's not gonna happen, we would at least like to be able to report the person who took it to the proper authorities.

If you have any information at all, please contact us at Me_and_P@verizon.net. We believe these old cabins and all of their contents should be cared for and protected so that they are still here to be enjoyed by us, our children and our grandchildren. Please let us know if you have any information. Thanks
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 am

James Sel wrote:The people in the know understand the dangers of posting there locations on the internet. you can find a cabin that was in the ADC program up at Ruth Mine its not there anymore from a fire and there are more that have burn down and or vandalized. I wish you would learn more about the cabins and reconsider you point of view.

Sounds kind of like one of those anti-drug spiels from the 1960s. The cool people (the people in the know) promote the opinion (understand) that sharing info on the internet leads to bad things...
Thanks mom for that little lecture...
:blah:
It is not reasonable to blame cabin fires on the internet. All the cabins will burn down sooner or later with or without the internet. For me to believe your anti-internet propaganda you would have to show me that the people who caused the cabin fires found out about the cabins as a result of surfing online. I don't think you have the data to back that assertion up. It's much more likely that they either came across the cabins in a random fashion or that they found out about the cabins by looking at a map or talking to other people. All this villainization of the internet crap gets old after awhile!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Buckthorn Boxcar Cabin
Sorry, but the word is already out. It's a little too late to keep this genie in the bottle. These cabins are posted all over YouTube and elsewhere!
:nopity:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm

The concerns are real Rat and if you like my propaganda or not.
I don't think it is a good idea to advertize the locations because of the concerns mentioned. There are many people willing to share info about them but posting there locations; bad idea.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 am

Although desertrat was a little snarky in the way he replied to Mr. Sel, he was essentially correct. There's a group of people who think they own these cabins and they want to control who finds out about them and who doesn't. I've visited several cabins in the area and I don't mind saying that my favorites are the Kopper King, Minietta, World Beater, and Briggs. Anyone want to to know how to get to any of them, just ask!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby James Sel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:22 am

panamint_patty wrote:Buckthorn Boxcar Cabin
Sorry, but the word is already out. It's a little too late to keep this genie in the bottle. These cabins are posted all over YouTube and elsewhere!
:nopity:

I know a lot of info is already on the net and with research many can be located. I think it is OK to share the info but to advertise the locations is not wise. Even the BLM recognized this when the stop the distribution of their Adopt-a-cabin map.

Anyways here is an interesting read on the program.
http://www.scahome.org/publications/proceedings/Proceedings.24Horne.pdf
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:51 am

The problem with this discussion is that it's impossible to figure out what factors actually increase the rate at which these structures are destroyed. The strongest correlation probably is with the increased number of SUVs, 4x4 trucks, and ATVs that have been sold during recent years. Availability of information about the cabins on the internet is probably weakly correlated if at all. Sooner or later all the cabins will be destroyed one way or the other and it's best not to blame the internet since it's not likely that the internet or any maps have much if anything to do with it.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby JanuaryJones » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:22 am

I've come across quite a few people who seem to think of these cabins as their own private getaways. I really don't think much of this secrecy stuff is actually motivated out of a concern for the cabins. It's all about protecting turf and reducing competition. I've visited all the cabins in Panamint Valley, Butte Valley, the Lee Flat area, and a few other locations and most of the cabins aren't really all that wonderful. They're neat to check out, but only a couple are nice enough to stay in. I especially like the Briggs Cabin and the Geologists Cabin is pretty good too. The Minietta and Kopper King aren't bad, but after that the quality goes way down. A couple seem to have been fumigated a few too many times. That's especially true of the Nelson Cabin.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:41 am

When the wrong people find out about cabins in the middle of the desert there's bound to be trouble. But the reality is that most people can't reach the cabins since they don't have the means of transporting themselves to them. But the one issue that I think is most likely to result in a cabin fire or other forms of damage to the cabins is drugs and drinking. The cabins should not be a place to hold a party and that's probably the main cause of fires. There may be some people who intentionally mean to do harm, but most problems with the cabins are almost certainly brought about by recklessness caused by inebriation!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local History