Local Cabins

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Local Cabins

Postby wildbill » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:49 am

It's been a couple years since I've been out that way and I've never heard about a water source near the cabin and so they must have had to truck it in. Some friends and I even scouted around the area looking for evidence of a spring, a well, or water pipes and we found nothing. But in general that's a nice quiet location to spend a night or two with some friends. One of my favorite spots actually.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby whiskeypete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am

Anyone know anything about the Kopper King Kabin? I got into a conversation with someone at the Gem and Mineral Show and they told me about a cabin located somewhere in Panamint Valley that gets called the KKK cabin for short. He said something about some white supremicist group using the cabin fairly often and that they like to do a lot of skeet shooting out there. The story sounds a little crazy to me, but the cabin is supposed to be in extremely good shape.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby James Sel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:36 am

whiskeypete wrote:Anyone know anything about the Kopper King Kabin? I got into a conversation with someone at the Gem and Mineral Show and they told me about a cabin located somewhere in Panamint Valley that gets called the KKK cabin for short. He said something about some white supremicist group using the cabin fairly often and that they like to do a lot of skeet shooting out there. The story sounds a little crazy to me, but the cabin is supposed to be in extremely good shape.

I know this cabin well. you should only listen to sober people.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:37 am

whiskeypete: When I've been there I've noticed lots of spent casings from people shooting their firearms, but I haven't seen any evidence of white supremist activities. So, based on my experience I'd say it's possible that there are gun nuts who go up there from time to time, but I can't back the story about racists going up there, although there's nothing to stop them from spending time at the cabin.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildbill » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:12 am

Racists using cabins? I have run across racist posters and artwork in some of the local cabins over the years. I can't say that this is something I encountered often, but there were signs that at least some of the people visiting the cabins were racist. Unfortunately, many survivalist types tend to be a bit racist. Not sure why this tendency exists, but I've observed it on several occasions.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

Exploring the western slopes of the Inyo Mountain Range
Here's an interesting cabin. To get to it go up Mazourka Canyon Road and turn towards Johnson Spring. The cabin is known as the Fleming Cabin (aka, Blue Stone Talc Mine Cabin), FYI.
I learned that a gentleman named Russell Fleming had refurbished the old cabin prior to his death in 2006. It has since been dedicated to him. A group of locals now take regular care of the cabin, even stocking it with canned food, and bottled water for the weary traveler. A functioning wood burning stove sits inside of the front door for those blustery Owens Valley winter nights, along with a cot, table and chairs, and an array of other household goods.

LINK: http://deathvalleyjim.com/2015/11/28/inyomountains/
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:36 am

GHOST TOWN INDEX
These sites are in the western states and not all local, but many local sites are listed.
LINK: http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/listings.html
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 am

Here's a list I found on the old forum: Cabins: Siebert ,McIver, Buckhorn (boxcar), Astro Artz, Rita's place, Stone & Briggs, Minietta, Thompson canyon, jail canyon, Barker Ranch, World Beater, Lee flat, Edith E, Dawson, Migus Mead, Kopper King, Osborne, Newman, Russell's camp Geologist, Stella's Redland canyon, Post office on the Bonanza trail and 2 more in area, Dark Horse, Not sure About the White Swan House, (maybe the Black Turtle knows about that one might have been removed), Beverage, Bighorn Mine, Frenchy's, Stone Canyon, Ruth Mine (the bunkhouse was burnt down.)....Cabins
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 am

CrustyOldFart: I recognize a bit more than half of the names on that list, but the other ones I'm not sure about. Either I know them by different names or else I haven't heard about them or come across them during my travels. Especially I'm not too sure about Dark Horse. Intriguing name.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sat May 06, 2017 8:08 pm

Add Migus Mead to the list of ashes and White Swan was torn down by the BLM.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local History