Internet Censorship

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Internet Censorship

Postby ergot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:33 pm

Amazon Under Fire As QAnon Book Climbs Best-Seller List
So, if the book is getting popular, then why suppress it? If people like it, then people like it. Why do some people feel that they have the right to interfere and mold what becomes popular and what doesn't?
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 pm

YouTube struggled to pull down mosque shooting videos
Over a million copies of the NZ shooting were uploaded to YouTube within a day of the shooting. YouTube went into disaster mode to remove and block copies of the video. IMHO if people want to see the video, then they should be allowed to see the video. Censorship is a totalitarian way to keep people from sharing information. There is nothing wrong with openly sharing material which some people find objectionable. It's called freedom of expression.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:37 am

Are you saying that there should be zero limits on what can be posted on privately owned, public accessed websites?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:32 am

Sparky of SoCal: I don't know how a2z would answer your question, but as a person with strong libertarian leanings, I am in favor of as little censorship as possible. And that means very little if any censorship. We adults should determine what we want to look at and what we don't want to look at. Some committee of people who are somehow more adult should not have the power to do that for us. Sharing a photo of a crime, for instance, is not the same as committing a crime and should never under any circumstances be construed as such!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:08 am

What are your thoughts with let's say UTube. A crime involving let's say a minor and adults involving torture is filmed. The perpertrators while fiming the event are daring others to try and out do the violence. I'm not sure that is something that needs to be available for everyone to see. What say you?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Sparky of SoCal wrote:What are your thoughts with let's say UTube. A crime involving let's say a minor and adults involving torture is filmed. The perpertrators while fiming the event are daring others to try and out do the violence. I'm not sure that is something that needs to be available for everyone to see. What say you?

YouTube: Let's stay away from the torture of a minor scenario to start with and let's discuss the New Zealand shooting thing. I would say that YouTube should have no legal obligation to remove the video. I would also say that such a video should under no circumstances be monetized. However, YouTube should not go into emergency mode to remove it, shutting down various search features, etc. in the process. They should remove the video as they find it and not do anything special beyond that.

Torture Scenario: Sharing copies of the video should not be a crime. Obviously torture of anyone is a crime, but simply possessing or sharing a video should not be a crime. However, selling copies of such a video should be a crime since no one should profit off the misery of another person.

I was grateful for the ability to see the NZ shooting video since it gave me an idea of the mindset of the shooter. That helps me recognize the difference between BS and reliable info when it comes to news commentators and supposed expert guests making blanket statements about such individuals. It's useful information which expands my understanding of the world. I don't have to take a so-called expert's word for anything. So often so-called experts are complete bullshit artists. Inaccurate understanding of reality only makes things worse.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:35 am

OK, I understand what you are saying, agree with a lot of your ideas. That thing I can't get my arms around everything you are looking for is subjective. Somehow, and I think you described it or imagined it reading through the lines, there is a line or a limit needed. Who makes that call?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 am

Sparky of SoCal: To my way of thinking each individual decides for themselves what they want to see and what they don't. Information in all forms should be available to all. The only hitch is that you don't want children seeing a lot of stuff and that's where parental controls come in. The only people who should be treated like children are children!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:07 am

shadylady
Islamic radical teachings explaining how to make a bomb or far right Neo Nazi propaganda on how to blow up a Synagogue with material bought at Lowes needs no venting or control?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Biased Google Search Results Influenced 2018 Midterms
Information control is the most insidious form of censorship since it's hard to detect. The ability to sway public opinion in this manner is a big deal.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets