Personalized Medicine

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Personalized Medicine

Postby pcslim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Personalized Medicine
Genetic testing will make it possible to match the right treatment to each person. Different people react to the same medicine differently and genetic testing makes it easy to accurately recognize those differences without any guessing!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: Personalized Medicine

Postby pcslim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Personalized medicine: 23andMe & Navigenics Comparison
This video is a couple years old and I believe we have now went below the $1000 threshold!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Natural Molecular - Plavix
Interesting info on how genetic testing can predict which patients will benefit from a specific drug.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 am

I'd rather have personalized nutrition than personalized medicine.

I wonder how they get away with looking at a person's DNA and not the person and calling it personalized medicine.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 am

surfsteve wrote:I'd rather have personalized nutrition than personalized medicine.

I wonder how they get away with looking at a person's DNA and not the person and calling it personalized medicine.

First of all, the term personalized medicine has been in use for close to two decades and it was a term coined by academics long before any companies became interested in this sort of analysis and service. A person's DNA is in many ways the essence of a person. There is really nothing more personal (from a medical point of view anyways) than your DNA! As for the nutrition concern, that has been discussed at great length along with exercise routines. So far there's not a lot of useful info, but a lot of interest has been expressed in these areas by the 23andme.com community.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 am

The last 20 years. Eh? Call it whatever you want but doctors seemed a lot more personal in the old westerns I watched growing up as a kid.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:47 am

23andMe CEO addresses FDA setback
I like this lady's style of problem solving. She breaks down the situation clearly and explains the "setback" which makes it clear that "setback" probably isn't the best term to use since it's more of a matter of figuring out what category her company fits into or whether a new category needs to be created. Genetic testing as something consumers can engage in directly without the intersession of a doctor is a very new thing. The FDA simply seems to be a little confused at this point!
:laugh:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:44 am

23andMe: FDA ruling had huge impact :pac:
This is an interesting and quick interview with a woman who started an interesting company. This is the kind of innovation that can get us beyond drug-based treatments and to a health care system focused on prevention. The FDA should facilitate this kind of thing, but they are beholden to pharmaceutical companies that like things the way they are.
23andMe CEO Anne Wojcicki talks about how her company is trying to work with the FDA to comply with their regulations regarding health care products.

wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 am

The Power of One
This is a great way to do research. I guess you could call it a form of crowd sourcing. Great infographic also.
http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/the-power-of-one/
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

The Problem and Promise of Precision Medicine
Medical treatments optimized for your genetics. Could be expensive, but it could save a ton of lives!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets