Drone Wars

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Registering Drones

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:54 am

alf: So where are people going to go to register their drones? Will it be the DMV? Or will they create a new bureaucracy to deal with drones? I suppose the FAA could handle it, but in either case remote control objects are different from cars and airplaines which both have onboard operators (aka, drivers and pilots). With the advent of remote control drones and self-driving cars, a new agency might need to be created to deal with this new type of vehicle.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Registering Drones

Postby mrfish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am

deathvalleyjake: Could be the Department of Homeland Security that will wind up with the job. There's a good chance that a whole new governmental agency will be created, or that there will be a fight between the DMV and the FAA for juristiction. Chances are that we'll be hearing plenty more about it in the next few months and years.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Drone Wars

Postby sandman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:51 am

Some protest new federal drone registration law, citing invasion of privacy
Invasion of privacy? How about some idiot with a drone using it to spy on me? Now that's invasion of privacy! I say raise the cost of registration and make laws regulating the use of drones. I'm even in favor of putting a chip in the drones so that it's easy to identify them using just a smartphone. That way if some son of a bitch decides to fly one over my property I can report the asshole and get his ass arrested!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:20 am

Drone Enabled Dog Killing Spree
This is from what they call the Dark Web via a friend and so it's probably only partially accurate. The story is that several cities including Los Angeles and Phoenix have been hit by drone enabled dog killing sprees. The way it's done is drones enabled with night vision cameras and containers to carry and deposit liquid are used to drop antifreeze into dog bowls in backyards. Supposedly the total kill count is something in the neighborhood of a couple to three dozen dogs so far with at least as many winding up requiring a trip to the vet. Like I say, I'm not sure of the veracity of this report, but it sounds feasible, although I don't know if a drone could carry much liquid and still get off the ground. To add to the intrigue supposedly this is available as a service for hire on the Dark Web. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap? I'm not sure what the fee would be, but I'm sure there are millions of people across the nation that would be willing to pay good money to eliminate certain loud dogs from their neighborhoods. (Cross posted in drones, neighbors, and dark web threads.)
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:30 am

See the jumbo drone that carries humans
ergot: Looks like the payload just got a whole lot larger! Not sure how many gallons of antifreeze would fit into this one, but it's a pretty fair quantity to say the least!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:51 am

First child 'droneboarding' in Urals, Russia
This looks like it could be fun! :pac:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 am

Drones Could Plant 1 Billion Trees a Year?!?
This seems like a good idea and providing that the soil isn't too hard it might even work.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:09 am

Peeping drones spying on households
When is a drone trespassing? I'd say anything within 100 feet of the ground is trespassing. Someone's going to develop a silent anti-drone laser or electronic disruption device pretty soon and it will be hunting season for drones!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:46 am

US Air Force Wants Permission to Shoot Down Intruding Drones
According to this report it is against the law (FAA regulations) to fly a drone within five miles of a military base. That would effectively make it illegal to fly a drone anywhere in Searles Valley since there are military bases on both the east and west side of the valley and the valley is not even ten miles wide.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:56 am

That's just wrong. Flying a drone over a military air base is one thing but within 5 miles? It's not even their air space. It is ours. How long till they make it illegal to even be within 5 miles of the base and shoot us all down?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets