The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby mrfish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 am

We Might Stop Growing As We Age, But Our Ears Don't :shrug:
This is something I never thought about or noticed before and it could be a problem if people start living too long!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:38 am

Up until a few years ago the thymus gland was considered unimportant; it was considered useless in adults because it shrinks with age and virtually disappears in the elderly. But recently it was discovered it plays a huge role in our immune systems and aging.

MYSTERIOUS THYMUS GLAND MAY HOLD THE KEY TO AGING
Many of the changes of aging are difficult to explain through immunology alone. A Veterans Administration study in Boston found that a man's head circumference increases by one-eighth of an inch every five years; that ear and nose size increase slightly because of increasing amounts of cartilage, but that height decreases at the rate of threesixteenths of an inch every five years in men during their 50's and 60's.

It has been known for years that the lens of the eye loses water and becomes more rigid with age. For that reason many middle-aged and elderly people need corrective glasses.

The wall of the heart's left ventricle, its main pumping chamber, becomes thicker but less powerful. All these changes, some of known cause, others still baffling, testify to the complexity of the process of aging. ''I personally think that aging is not due to any single mechanism,'' said Dr. Edward Schneider of the National Institutes of Health.

He agrees that the immune system does decline, sometimes dramatically, with age, but sees this as one of many results of an extremely complex process.

In recent years some experts have estimated that the maximum human life span is roughly 85 years, give or take a few years. In fact, despite claims that people have lived to be 150 or more, the longest thoroughly authenticated human lifetime was that of a Japanese who lived to be 114, according to that country's public health records.

SIZE OF THYMUS DECREASES WITH AGE

Modern use of glandular supplements is based on the concept that like supports like--consuming thymus tissue supports our own thymus. You can also buy thymus inexpensively from your local butcher shop, commonly sold under the name of (neck) sweetbreads.
$5.99

Haven't had a chance to watch this video playlist yet but it looks promising. Definitely worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZpFsOv ... VYmqXu0nAE
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:16 am

Prof. David Sinclair - What Is Ageing? Why It Happens
Dr. David Sinclair talks about some interesting prospects, but doesn't name all of them. There is a lot of speculation that Pterostilbene and NR (nicotinamide riboside) are a couple key possibilities.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 am

Weird. He was on the right track when he first said exercise and calorie restriction was proven to reduce aging but then later he totally ignores this and shows how they are looking for a drug to do it. I've tried that NAD form of niacin that he gave to the mice on the treadmills before and all it did was drain my pocket book and make me jittery. Low doses of caffeine will do the same thing much cheaper. (higher doses causes the rats to become violent and eat each other) His experiment reminded me of the one I read in The Liver Files on the Weston Price website except all they did was feed the mice liver which greatly improved the amount of time they could swim before drowning.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Infographic: Can modern biotechnology help you live forever?
This infographic summarizes a few of the approaches different groups are taking when it comes to research which might result in life extension. Some of these approaches seem very unrealistic, while others seem like they have some potential.
LINK: https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/09/06/infographic-can-modern-biotechnology-help-live-forever/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 am

wildrose: No doubt that science will cure aging, but probably not in my lifetime. It's hard to imagine science not coming up with little tricks here and there that extend life and keep the body younger for longer and longer, but I suspect that this will a very gradual process. How long before the average lifespan reaches one hundred years? Heck if I know, but I'd bet it'll take a couple centuries at least. Too bad I won't be around to collect the winnings!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:04 am

Science can never cure aging. Aging is not a disease. It is a process. Unfortunately science has been corrupted by greed and politics and has a lot of catching up to do with folk medicine and common sense.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Microsoft aims to ‘solve’ cancer by reprogramming malignant cells
It looks like M$ is jumping into the personalized medicine bandwagon. Their angle seems to be fairly standard (dozens of companies are already doing what's described in this news clip) and so I'm not sure why this is news except for that M$ is getting involved. But more money devoted to solving the cancer problem is a good thing and so I'm not complaining!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Click here for your free 30 day trial of Microsoft Cancer® virus protection. A $9999.00 value!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Aubrey de Grey - Telemere Shortening Confusion and Current Therapies
Aging is a complicated series of failures, but failure by failure it's a problem that can be solved. Maybe not anytime soon, but persistence and ingenuity can solve the problem of aging.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets