The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

The Science of Aging

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 pm

NAD: Reverse Aging Without Starvation :upset:
Scientist at Harvard and UC Berkeley say that results observed in a test on mice suggest that it might be possible to transform the functioning of a 60-year-old human into that of a person in their twenties. The article goes into the experiment and the biological mechanisms underlying the age reversal observed in mice. Any application to humans might be 10 or 20 years off, if at all, but this is an intriguing experiment.
The background to the research is that as we age, levels of the chemical NAD, which facilitate this cellular 'communication', decline. The only way to slow the NAD drop was to restrict calories and exercise intensively. In this work, the researchers used a compound that cells transform into NAD to repair the broken network and rapidly restore communication and mitochondrial function. It mimics the effects of diet and exercise.

LINK: http://www.science20.com/news_articles/nad_reverse_aging_without_starvation-126754
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:18 am

I'm in favor of anything that keeps me healthy longer. I don't want to be kept alive on life support, but if there's a way to stay alive longer and to be able to enjoy life the full time, then I'm in favor of it!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 am

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims they have discovered some kind of fountain of youth. On the other hand, it makes sense that there are probably things that can be done to increase the number of years that humans can live. If science can figure out the things that happen within the body that cause us to age, then it only makes sense that there should be ways of slowing down the process. Of course there are always going to be those who try to sell fake remedies, but sooner or later there will be things that can be done that will actually work at least some.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 am

How Old Can People Get?
Interesting topic and some interesting projects. My guess is that between stem cells, telomere regeneration, curing cancer, and a few other things including healthy diets and exercise, that people can achieve the 120 to 150 year lifespan range. Beyond that, who knows?
:shrug:
LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100416/1618509046/dailydirt-how-old-can-people-get.shtml
Exclusive: TIME Talks to Google CEO Larry Page About Its New Venture to Extend Human Life
That approach may yield unlikely conclusions. “Are people really focused on the right things? One of the things I thought was amazing is that if you solve cancer, you’d add about three years to people’s average life expectancy,” Page said. “We think of solving cancer as this huge thing that’ll totally change the world. But when you really take a step back and look at it, yeah, there are many, many tragic cases of cancer, and it’s very, very sad, but in the aggregate, it’s not as big an advance as you might think.”

LINK: http://business.time.com/2013/09/18/google-extend-human-life/
Methuselah Foundation
LINK: https://mfoundation.org/work
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat May 10, 2014 10:33 am

Is Injecting "Young" Blood The New (And Real) Fountain Of Youth?
A protein called GDF11 (also known as Growth differentiation factor 11 and also known as bone morphogenetic protein 11, BMP-11) appears to have regenerative properties which may in some ways reverse aging. Definitely huge potential for making some pharmaceutical company rich and there's even an outside possibility that it might help people live longer and healthier lives!
The protein GDF11 is found in humans as well as mice, and is now being considered for possible human testing due to its surprising and apparently regenerative properties.

LINK: http://www.gizmag.com/gdf11-protein-aging-mice-harvard/31929/
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 am

GDF11: A hormonal candidate for rejuvenation
The body is programed to grow old and die. Interesting ideas. Interesting blog.
When dramatic results like this, indicating that some simple intervention is capable of turning back the aging clock, the question everyone avoids asking is, “Why isn’t the body doing this on its own?” The answer, of course, is that the body doesn’t want to. The body is programmed in its genes to age and die, but to acknowledge this is to precipitate a revolution in our understanding of the fundamental mechanisms of evolutionary biology.

LINK: http://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.com/2014/05/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Tue May 13, 2014 8:51 am

Okay so if the body is programmed to grow old and die, then I guess the trick is to deprogram it. In some ways it sounds like our own bodies are our own worst enemies. I wonder how many mechanisms there are that make us get older and die. If we could figure out how turn them all off maybe there's a chance we could live significantly longer!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 am

Silicon Valley Moves the Needle on Curing Aging
Venter is now 68 years old and apparently wants to be able to enjoy many more productive years... just like the rest of us!
Craig Venter, who sequenced the first human genome, recently raised $70 million in funding for a start-up called Human Longevity Inc. (HLI) that he co-founded with Singularity University Chairman Peter Diamandis and stem cell pioneer Dr. Robert Hariri. They plan to sequence 40,000 human genomes in order to build the world's largest database of human genetic variation. “Aging is the single biggest risk factor for virtually every significant human disease,” says the HLI website. “Our goal is to extend and enhance the healthy, high-performance lifespan and change the face of aging.”

LINK: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/prudential_living_longer_project/2014/07/silicon_valley_moves_the_needle_on_curing_aging.html
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 am

Running 5 Minutes A Day Might Add Years To Your Life
Moderation in all things. Too much running may not be a good idea, but no exercise at all is a really bad idea.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Undoing aging: Aubrey de Grey at TEDxDanubia 2013
This guy seems to think that aging can be eliminated. He says that we are within "striking distance" of being able to medically to defeat aging. Regenerative medicine? I don't know, could be another snake oil scam.
:upset:
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets