The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby recluse » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am

Life Extension Advocacy Foundation (LEAF)
LEAF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting increased healthy human lifespan through fiscally sponsoring longevity research projects, and raising awareness regarding the societal benefits of life extension.

Rejuvenation projects include treatments for genomic instability, telemere attrition, epigenetic alteration, loss of proteostasis, deregulated nutrient sensing, mitochondrial dysfunction, cellular senescence, stem cell exhaustion, altered intercellular communication, and long-lived protein modification.
Here's their rejuvenation roadmap:
https://www.lifespan.io/the-rejuvenation-roadmap/
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 am

Drawing the Future of Predictive Medicine With Geneticist J. Craig Venter
The future of medicine is predictive, not reactive. Which seems like a restatement of an old aphorism: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 am

“Get a genetic test done to see if you have a likelihood for cancer and if you do you can come in and get frequent MRI's so we can start treating you early and make even more money off of you” Not a word about diet, lifestyle or environment... Bogus video!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 am

surfsteve: Anyone informed enough to get these genetic tests and the MRIs almost certainly knows a lot about the importance of diet and exercise and a whole lot more. You don't drop a few thousand dollars on this kind of early detection without doing a whole lot more before you even think about this kind of thing.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 am

That's quite an assumption. If I were one to assume I would tend to think that the type of people getting those tests would know very little about nutrition and would tend to be doing it so they can tell their doctor what to look for. For me I'd rather focus on the things I can change like diet than the things I can't like heredity. Though I do understand that the purpose of the tests are to point out areas that are genetically flawed and need attention.

While this could be of value to some people it could lead others down a path of spiraling negativity and hopelessness.

Before you make up your mind to turn your mind and body over to genetic science and modern medicine I do agree with you that it's a good idea to find out the things you can change on your own such as diet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... arrow.html
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 am

I was listening to a talk show about DNA last night and the guy on it was saying that DNA is only based on samples that they have in their data base. If I am getting it right they are saying that for example a cancer gene is really only a marker that a majority of people have that also have cancer. He used the number of sixty six percent. I wish he'd repeated him self because I couldn't believe my ears. It sounds like they decided that if any group had more than two thirds percentage of a gene marker that they interpreted it as having a tendency to have a certain trait.

With that in mind it is entirely possible that DNA science isn't that much better than using the shape of someone's head to determine their personality. I got to wonder if some time in the future we will look at today's DNA science as being comparatively as primitive. Today we realize that it's what's inside a persons head that determines their personality and not it's shape. Perhaps one day we will be able to open up those DNA markers and read what's inside them only to realize how primitive we are right now...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 am

surfsteve: Most people getting genetic tests have a basic understanding of the science behind the tests. Obviously the FDA disagrees with that assumption, which is why they gave 23andme so much hassle about the kind info that could be shared with clients. So, the FDA is probably not entirely wrong since there are some uninformed people getting genetic tests just because people they know are getting the tests, but it's fair to say that most people getting the tests know what they're doing. With that level of of knowledge, it's likely that most clients have a better than average understanding of nutrition and exercise. So, I'd have to stand by my original statement and insist that it's a very reasonable assumption.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:27 am

Based on standing on the ground it is also a reasonable assumption to declare the world is flat. With DNA tests going for as low as 49 dollars pretty much anybody is now able to afford them. Let me make a reasonable assumption that the average person knows very little and based upon their actions cares even less.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Genetics 101 (Part 2 of 5): What are SNPs?
Understanding the significance of SNPs is a good place to start when beginning to get a basic grasp of genetic science, but keep in mind it's only a good place to begin. From there you might start looking at various methods of statistical analysis, different sequencing methods, the structure of DNA, what's called the Central Dogma, etc. It's pretty complicated and it's easy to see how someone could be overwhelmed by the science behind DNA analysis and hastily dismiss it as a bunch of BS.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 pm

I still maintain that the genome is at the stage chronology was at, during WWII. Chronology has been dismissed as junk science yet let's face it we can all look at some people and tell that they are retarded or a basket case or a mean person or a nice person. The problem is we will be right most of the time but not all of the time. Reading the genome is the same way. A certain number of people will have a marker or snip or whatever you want to call it at a certain place in their genome and tend to exhibit a certain trait but it's not guaranteed. It could be in 66% of all cases or perhaps in rare instances over 99% of the time but it will not always be 100% correct. I'm not saying DNA should be dismissed as junk science but then neither should chronology and I suspect even though it has been that it's probably because most of the worlds most powerful people are psychopaths and rather than be discovered have influenced science to dismiss chronology entirely. All that needs to happen is for DNA science to progress to the point that commonalities between psychopaths and leaders be discovered and understood by the general public and watch how fast DNA analysis goes away and becomes dismissed. Right now it is in it's infancy and not quite understood so many people will believe whatever they are told about it without understanding what is actually going on. In a way this is also junk science and could be used against us as in innocent assumptions that later on prove not to be correct or at least as correct as we are led to believe. There are primitive societies that believe in bone pointing because when a medicine man points a bone at someone they wish to get rid of they nearly always die, yet this rarely works in modern societies that don't believe in it. There is a real danger that people will start believing in DNA much like primitive societies believe in bone pointing and that instead of indicating traits they could actually be causing them due to the superstitious tendency of people to believe in things that they don't quite understand.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets