The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby surfsteve » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 pm

I was researching magnesium because I am just about out of magnesium taurate. I bought Magnesium Glycinate this time because it is cheaper, it gets absorbed better and because I still have plenty of taurine, (the secret ingredient in Red Bull.) Just bought a small amount to try. If I like it I'll permanently switch to it and take taurine separately.

Magnesium Glycinate is the magnesium salt of a compound called glycine—which is an amino acid. Common variations of of this form are magnesium diglycinate and magnesium bisglycinate. These forms of magnesium are commonly found in ‘chelated’ magnesium products, and are the all-around most easily absorbale for your body. Magnesium Glycinate is often recommended by health professionals to patients that are seeking to raise magnesium serum levels for treatment of Hypomagnesemia—the clinical term for magnesium deficiency. Magnesium Glycinate is much less dependent on the acidity levels of the stomach, and is thought to be absorbed by the body through channels utilized by amino acid absorption. If you are suffering from a known magnesium deficiency, magnesium glycinate is usually the best option to help correct that quickly, since it has a fairly high bowel tolerance level. If you’re looking for a type of magnesium that doesn’t cause diarrhea, this is likely your best option for oral use.

Magnesium Taurate
Magnesium Taurate
Magnesium taurate is a form of elemental magnesium that has been combine with an amino acid called Taurine. Taurine is thought to be one of the most beneficial elements in helping to promote longer lifespans. Research has shown that Taurine in itself has been able to reduce the risk of heart attacks by up to 80%, balance electrolyte levels, and promote healthy immune function.13 Additionally, magnesium taurate supplements have demonstrated the ability to treat cases of depression 14, vascular health, and the prevention of neurodegenerative disorders and migraines.15 in clinical settings. Magnesium Taurate can be slightly more difficult to find than other forms of magnesium, but with the rising demand among health-conscious buyers—it is becoming more available. L-Taurine is also considered to be a powerful nootropic compound, capable of improving overall cognitive function and memory. This close association of magnesium taruate and taurine lead many to believe magnesium taurate to be one of the better suited magnesium supplements for brain health

https://www.organicnewsroom.com/magnesium-supplements/

I've read other places that magnesium taurate is only 10% magnesium so in addition to it's higher cost you have to take more of it to get the same amount found in other supplements. There are dozens of different types of magnesium. Many of which are not easily absorbed by the body. Magnesium oil is supposed to be very good but you need to spray it on yourself after you get out of the shower. Supposedly it works even better than Epsom salt which is another form of magnesium that people used to soak their feet in and can be used like magnesium oil though it's not quite as good. Neither one is very good to take internally because they are not very absorbable and cause diarrhea but if you're looking for a laxative then that might not be such a bad idea. All forms of magnesium are laxatives but some kind are way more than others.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Apparently Thomas DeLauer has done a lot of videos on magnesium. In this video he claims magnesium glycinate, the kind I ordered is the best kind of magnesium to promote restfulness. He says his favorite form is magnesium orotate because it penetrates the cell membrane but when I started researching it they said there was no evidence of this and that it could even be dangerous.

He made magnesium malate sound interesting so I started reading about it. In addition to promoting energy, magnesium malate is energizing and a good thing to take before workouts. It contains 80% malic acid a kind of acid present in apples that is good for relieving pain and promoting energy.The reviews I read were excellent and better than all the other forms of magnesium I read about. Also it was slightly cheaper than what I ordered (and about half the price of malic acid alone) so I'm considering ordering some additionally and maybe saving the magnesium glycinate for night time and taking magnesium malate during the day before working out.

The reason I posted it on this thread was because magnesium taurate and tauring are supposed to prevent aging and promote longevity. Sorry for kind of getting off track; though if you are deficient in magnesium as most people are then taking it would keep you looking young and help you to live a longer and healthier life! Though I take a ton of herbs and eat right, (a raw paleo diet), magnesium (taurate) has been the only supplement I been taking. Well I suppose that's not entirely true. I do replace almost half my unprocessed sea salt with potassium chloride and there's probably more that I can't think of right now. It seems virtually all diets are deficient in magnesium, potassium and taurine. The human body can manufacture it's own taurine similar to the way cats and dogs manufacture their own vitamin C, so it's not vital. Though cooking food destroys taurine, so other than the people that drink Red Bull, most of us don't get much taurine in our diets.

Different Forms of Magnesium

Different Forms of Magnesium | Anxiety, Cramps, and Digestion: Thomas DeLauer

For magnesium to be better absorbed by the body, it is attached to another substance. Below are explanations of the different forms of magnesium.

1. Magnesium chloride: detoxing, metabolism, kidney function
Contains only 12% magnesium, however the magnesium is highly bioavailable

2. Magnesium citrate: not recommended, as it interferes with Ceruloplasmin and can cause iron dysregulation and health issues
High bioavailability of about 90%
Laxative properties

3. Magnesium glycinate: relaxing, good absorption rate, leaky gut, nerve pain
Chelated form of magnesium
Glycine is known as a calming amino acid, and magnesium is calming as well → chronic pain and nerve pain relief
Transported through the intestinal wall, so no laxative property
High bioavailability, considered ideal for correcting a deficiency

4. Magnesium malate: energizing, fibromyalgia, muscle pain
Chelated form of magnesium
High bioavailability
Malate is used in the cellular energy cycle, aiding in ATP production

5. Magnesium oxide: good in small doses throughout the day
Non-chelated form of magnesium where magnesium is bound to a fatty acid or organic acid
Frequently used for acid reflux treatment and as a laxative
Low bioavailability, about 4%, however contains a high concentration of magnesium

6. Magnesium sulfate: small doses, best in bath
Most widely known as epsom salts
There is limited evidence that epsom salt baths may increase the levels of magnesium in the body, however there is currently no peer-reviewed evidence published
Do not take more than very small amounts orally - a powerful laxative
Easy to overdose - do not take more than directed

7. Taurate and orotate: cardiovascular health
Oronates are used in the body to create DNA and RNA
Ability to penetrate the cell membrane leads to magnesium delivery to the inner parts of the cell
Because of these properties this form is very effective and readily absorbable
Taurate is a chelated form of magnesium with the amino acid taurine, with high bioavailability
Known for calming properties on both mind and body
Both magnesium and taurine have cardiac health benefits

8. Magnesium threonate: brain injuries, PTSD, depression, neuro conditions, anxiety
Has been shown in an animal study to improve both short term and long term memory when compared to magnesium citrate
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Forever young? Scientists claim to solve aging problem
This seems a little too simple to me, but it is interesting at least to some extent.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 am

Why some animals of the same order live much longer than others?
Interesting look at genetic mechanisms which influence the rate at which various species age.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 am

The Secret to Long Life? It May Lurk in the DNA of the Oldest Among Us
It seems obvious that those who live longer probably have some genetic differences which give them the edge when it comes to longevity, but identifying those differences isn't necessarily an easy task.
The kind of ultrarare mutations that supercentenarians might harbor, Dr. Church believed, were not likely to be detected with standard techniques, which scan only the places in the genome where DNA is already known to vary between individuals. To look for as-yet-uncataloged variations would require sequencing all of the supercentenarians’ six billion genetic letters, a far more expensive procedure. When he and Mr. Clement first discussed the idea in 2010, the cost was about $50,000 per genome.

LINK:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/health/supercentenarians-genetics-longevity.html
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Back to Immortality - Introduction to a series on aging, telomeres, and stem cells
This looks like an interesting series!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 am

Breakthroughs Set To Revolutionize Stem Cell Therapy
Stem Cell Therapy could potentially be used to treat all sorts of ailments including chronic diseases of aging such as AMD, heart disease and stroke, heart failure, orthopedic disorders, Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s disease, type 1 diabetes, and respiratory disease such as COPD. That's a lot of potentially alleviation of suffering and possible extension of lifespan.
Yamanaka factors induce matured adult cells taken from a patient’s body to revert to a younger state and form induced pluripotent stem cells. They are also called transcription factors because they turn DNA into RNA. The four Yamanaka factors are the proteins c-Myc, Klf4, Oct4, and Sox2.

http://longevityfacts.com/breakthroughs-ipsc-stem-cell-therapy-advancements/
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:20 am

Tips for achieving a longer and healthier life
Although average life expectancy here in the USA has gone down two years in a row due to drug abuse, the basics of optimizing your lifespan remain the same. No breakthrough tips here. Just the basics.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Boosting enzyme may help improve blood flow, fitness in elderly
Interesting information and this could potentially improve the health of lots of people over 60 or so.
Now, in a new study published this week in Cell, a team of researchers from Penn Medicine and other institutions have shown for the first time how a well-studied enzyme called SIRT1 declines in the blood vessels with age and that restoring it reverses the effects of vascular aging. After receiving a supplement called NAD+ precursor nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), older mice had the number of capillaries and capillary density found in much younger mice, and improved endurance by up to 80 percent. The collaborative study also involves researchers from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-03-boosting-enzyme-blood-elderly.html
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 am

Trimethylglycine
An older post mentioned this supplement.
Trimethylglycine (TMG) is an amino acid derivative that occurs in plants. Trimethylglycine was the first betaine discovered; originally it was simply called betaine because, in the 19th century, it was discovered in sugar beets. Since then, many other betaines have been discovered, and the more specific name glycine betaine distinguishes this one.

A number of claims have been made, but...
TMG supplementation decreases the amount of adipose tissue in pigs; however, research in human subjects has shown no effect on body weight, body composition, or resting energy expenditure.

Food sources containing lots of TMG: spinach, quinoa, wheat bran, lamb's quarters, and beetroot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylglycine
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets