High Speed Internet

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

High Speed Internet

Postby mrgreen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 pm

The First Honest Cable Company :down:
This sounds an awful lot like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. They're all a bunch of ripoffs! Barely trained technicians, high prices, poor service. Yep, that's the ticket!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: High Speed Internet

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:11 am

Verizon is what I have and they are a horrendous service provider. The problem is there isn't much choice since other ISPs are just as bad. The plan is to charge as much as possible for as little as possible. That's capitalism at work for you and people here in Trona get ripped off worse than people who live elsewhere. There should be a way of forcing the company to provide reasonable service for a reasonable price, but when the companies own the the government the people get shafted!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 am

It would be nice to have faster speeds and more bandwidth, but when you live in the middle of nowhere it's not available. We didn't even have cell service for a long time and what we have now is substandard. Public utilities should be held to a higher standard, but while our government has no issue with spying on us, they do next to nothing when it comes to sticking up for us!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am

wildrose wrote:It would be nice to have faster speeds and more bandwidth, but when you live in the middle of nowhere it's not available. We didn't even have cell service for a long time and what we have now is substandard. Public utilities should be held to a higher standard, but while our government has no issue with spying on us, they do next to nothing when it comes to sticking up for us!

I completely agree. People in Trona get the short end of the stick from Verizon all the time. Verizon should be required to provide better service, but there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for this. The alternative would be to force Verizon to charge substantially less. If FiOS provides a minimum of 15mbs and we only get 3mbs and FiOS costs $80/mo, then we should only have to pay $16/mo. That's simple math and charging more than $16/mo is robbery!
:mad2:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 am

Plenty of low speed internet here in Trona. The internet on the smartphone just barely gets here and the internet at home putts along like a snail in a coma. Just for once it would be nice to get what I pay for! I pay for full speed internet so Verizon should give it to me!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

Google Wants 10Gbps Fiber Connections Within 3 Years :pac:
High speed internet might be getting even speedier... eventually... sometime in the future... but probably not in Trona!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:45 am

Which Countries Have The Fastest Internet?
Thanks to Verizon and ATT the USA is about two decades behind the rest of the world as far as internet speed goes. They overcharge and provide crappy service and their virtual monopoly status makes it impossible for customers to change carriers. So much for capitalism and free enterprise. Obviously corporations are more likely to steal from customers than to provide quality service, if given the opportunity.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:07 am

NO MORE DSL AVAILABLE IN TRONA
I have been fighting with Verizon to get internet at my new address in Trona, less than a mile away from my old address and even a mile closer to the Verizon tower. First they told me that there was no internet available at my location. However the person that used to live here had internet before. Once that was established then they changed their story and said that there were no more available ports. I then asked them to send me a letter stating that there were no more ports available and they refused. I even asked them to send me a letter stating that they refused to send me a letter. You guessed it. They refused!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:03 pm

surfsteve wrote:NO MORE DSL AVAILABLE IN TRONA
I have been fighting with Verizon to get internet at my new address in Trona, less than a mile away from my old address and even a mile closer to the Verizon tower. First they told me that there was no internet available at my location. However the person that used to live here had internet before. Once that was established then they changed their story and said that there were no more available ports. I then asked them to send me a letter stating that there were no more ports available and they refused. I even asked them to send me a letter stating that they refused to send me a letter. You guessed it. They refused!

Sounds to me like they're trying to force you to take one of those DirectTV bundles. I bet if you sign up with DirectTV they'll get you internet and that the provider will be no other than Verizon! It may be sleazy, but that's how they work!
:curse:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby a2z » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:45 pm

What Google Fiber could do for San Diego
ONE GIGABIT PER SECOND! That's over 300 times faster than what most people in Trona get. :cry2:
Google Fiber offers three options: a free internet option, a 1 Gbit/s internet option, and an option including television service (in addition to the 1 Gbit/s internet). The internet service includes one terabyte of Google Drive service; the television service includes a two terabyte DVR in addition to the Google Drive. The DVR can record up to eight live television shows simultaneously. In addition, television service will also stream live program content on iPad and Android tablet computers.

MORE INFO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fiber
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets