Free the Internet

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Free the Internet

Postby pcslim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 am

Is Hollywood undermining the free Internet?
The gatekeepers in Hollywood want to increase their control over communication in the USA. Overly strict copyright law restricts free speech and threatens our basic freedom of expression. Attacks on our freedoms come from many directions.
:curse:
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: Free the Internet

Postby desertrat » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 am

Net Neutrality Fails, Goodbye to a Free Internet?
Verizon may have won this court case, but if they start taking actions which ruin the internet they probably won't stay in business long. I don't care how big you are, if you mess up the internet, you're going down!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Pirate Baysics: 'Giving way to free content is political battle for Internet'
Copyright stifles innovation and works only to the advantage of the very rich. Downloading movies, songs, etc. is not stealing regardless of what the idiots in charge might want you to believe. Best Comment:
Copyright whores crying about losing money need to stfu . You can't lose money if the person downloading your content is too broke to buy it in the first place . I used to download stuff when I was a broke ass now that I'm doing better financially all I buy is blurays because I want the best possible quality I can get . 

LINK:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby pcslim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:51 am

A2Z: For the most part I agree with what you say in your post except that I think copyright serves a purpose, but it can be enforced too vigorously. There should be liberal fair use provisions which are well-defined and which people can use safely without feeling afraid that copyright trolls are going to take them to court. Downloading a song or movie for personal use should not be a problem. It's when people charge money for content that they don't own that actual theft occurs.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrgreen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:28 pm

An app to get around firewalls
Fewer restrictions and more privacy are the two most essential ingredients to FREEDOM. We call ourselves the land of the free, but we aren't actually very free. At least this shows that there are still people who value freedom.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 am

Digital Divorce: Merkel proposes new spy-proof network for Europe
Looks like Germany and Brazil are working on ways of leaving the USA out of the loop, so to speak. They're taking steps to bypass the USA when it comes to digital communications in reaction to the recent NSA spy scandal. Now if there were only a way for those of us living in the USA to leave our government out of the loop when it comes to communications!!!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Inventor Of The Web Calls For Online Freedoms
Privacy, free speech, and anonymity are the key freedoms that should be protected. These freedoms are necessary to achieve a functional democracy free of coercion by big brother.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: Free The Internet

Postby wildrose » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 am

Most of the people who are allowed to talk in television news shows insist that anonymity is a bad thing and claim that most online- or cyber-bullying would be eliminated if it was impossible to post anonymously. The big corporations that control the news also want to control the internet. Anonymity makes it hard for them to control things, which explains why they try to make a big deal over cyberbullying and connect it to anonymity. Most people I know realize that cyberbullying is a fake or bogus issue, but apparently a sizeable portion the television audience ain't so bright!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 am

How Corporate Computers Know You Better Than You Know Yourself
Corporate surveillance is at least as bad as governmental surveillance and the sad truth is that corporations and the government work together to keep track of the activities of customers/citizens. Not that such efforts could ever work to the disadvantage of customers/citizens. They're just trying to help us and keep us safe... right?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Licensing Boards Think Studying For A Test Is Copyright Infringement, Forbid Memorization Of Material
This is on the far side of bizarre! One gets the impression that if it ever becomes possible to read people's thoughts that some companies already have plans to use such technology to enforce copyright law!
:smack:
While I realize there have been several attempts to broaden the coverage of copyright and extend its length towards the far end of perpetuity, I was unaware that federal copyright law now provides remedies for the creation of infringing memories.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140716/05332527890/licensing-boards-think-studying-test-is-copyright-infringement-forbid-memorization-material.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets