The History of Email

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: EMAIL

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 am

HuffPo has definitely managed to take it's reputation down another notch on this one. The problem is that people who realize the error probably never had much faith in HuffPo anyways and the people who believe the story are probably too stupid and too uninformed to realize the problem even if they were presented with accurate information. SNAFU
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: The History of Email

Postby pcslim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Huffington Post Finally Removes Most Articles About Fake Email Inventor; Meanwhile, Ayyadurai Threatens To Sue His Critics
The continuing saga... at least they've acknowledge that the articles made inaccurate claims! Finally!!!
:smack:
In that same Economic Times article, there's also the absolutely hilarious claim from Ayyadurai suggesting that he's considering legal action against his "critics."

Shiva Ayyadurai, the man in the middle of a raging controversy over his claims of being the inventor of email, doesn't want to go legal on his detractors but is looking for support from the public. "Lawsuits take a long time. If I have to pull the trigger I will. But I have decided to go directly to the people," Ayyadurai said in an interview with ET.

First off, there is no "raging controversy." There's no controversy at all. Ayyadurai is simply making false claims and that's agreed upon by pretty much everyone who's looked at the evidence.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140907/06302728447/huffington-post-finally-removes-most-articles-about-fake-email-inventor-meanwhile-ayyadurai-threatens-to-sue-his-critics.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: EMAIL

Postby sandman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 am

pcslim: It's ridiculous that he's actually threatening to sue his critics, but then again the claims he made to begin with were ridiculous and so for him there is probably nothing too ridiculous when it comes to self-promotion!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Fact Checking Is Dead: Mainstream Media Goes Nuts Repeating Debunked Claims By The Fake 'Inventor Of Email'
You'd think that this story would die after awhile, but it seems to have been revived! The list of mainstream idiots repeating the bogus story includes People Magazine, ABC News, CBS News, and several others.
:wtf:
Ayyadurai keeps coming back, often moving the goalposts and changing his definitions, but still ultimately flat out lying in pretending to have "invented" email. To be clear, he did no such thing... And yet, yesterday morning, everyone began flooding me with new stories about Ayyadurai, written by clueless entertainment reporters, all because Ayyadurai apparently got married to actress Fran Drescher... The only publications I can find that really called out the bogus claims were Mashable, which noted that Drescher has married someone who "likes to claim he invented email" and Gawker...

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140909/06514228460/fact-checking-is-dead-mainstream-media-goes-nuts-repeating-debunked-claims-fake-inventor-email.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby desertrat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:31 am

I think the news networks are just messing with their audiences. They realize that Ayyadurai is making a false claim, but Ayyadurai has already played the race card and nothing stirs up controversy better than false claims mixed with racial issues and nothing attracts an audience better than good ole fashioned controversy!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets