Robots Taking Over

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Robots Taking Over

Postby whiskeypete » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 am

MojaveMike: I'm waiting for the more advanced models that have features which can be altered on the fly. Resizable jugs would be a lot of fun and I'm sure most guys can think of lots of alterations they'd be interested in trying out! The same ole thing gets boring and as they say, VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shadylady » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 am

VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE: Eventually the price of these sexbots drops to a point where average guys (and maybe some girls) can afford them. By then they'll be very lifelike and maybe in some ways better than real sex partners. This seems like mostly a good thing to me although I'm not sure if sexbots would have what it takes to satisfy everyone, but there's no doubt they would provide satisfaction for some people.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun May 13, 2018 6:53 am

Robot built by Boston Dynamics can run and jump
Not ready for prime time yet, but making steady progress!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Growing conflict between Pentagon and tech engineers
Genius level engineers not happy with plans made by somewhat intelligent military leaders. It's not a culture gap. It's an intelligence gap.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am

pcslim: Increasingly we're seeing an intelligence gap between those who develop the technology and those who decide how to use the technology. Take YouTube/Google, for instance. The technology it takes to enable instant access to millions of videos from anywhere in the world is something the world has never seen. And yet the stupid mistakes that those making policy decisions for the platform make are incomprehesibly unintelligent. More effort must be made to ensure the competent individuals make policy decisions, but a system that would ensure such competency doesn't actually exist at this time.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 am

cactuspete: Democracy does not ensure that competent individuals make decisions. What we need is a meritocracy, but the huge problem there is that someone must decide what accomplishments in life are worth the most and the items which make the list would bias the system in favor of individuals with certain inborn traits. If those traits correlate highly with intelligence, then that would be a good thing, but someone must decide on who gets on the panel to make the necessary decisions and that gets us back to democracy, which is more of a system based on popularity than on merit. Of course we could turn the decision over to the robots... but then they'd really be in charge!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am

MojaveMike: Everything comes down to a matter of the limitations of humanity, but as limited as we are, depending on AI could be worse. It really depends on the implementation. A properly developed system would be a huge advance for humanity, but a poorly developed system would be a total disaster. Unfortunately, a poorly developed system is a thousand more times likely than a properly developed system.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby recluse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:47 am

Building Consciousness: How Westworld's Sentient Robots Could Become A Reality
Autonomous robots with anything close to self-awareness or consciousness aren't likely to exist at least for several decades. Whether or not they ever get to the point where they are indistinguishable from people in everyday life is an interesting topic of speculation, but that would probably be at least a couple centuries into the future before that would be a possibility. However, I could see a system like Hal from the movie "2001" minus an actual personality within a decade or two.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby JanuaryJones » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am

recluse: Hal from 2001 is boring, but a system that takes commands and executes them is more or less here. Several products are available that will do that sort of thing although they aren't without flaws and as yet not really integrated into the Internet of Things as they say. It's possible, but not really worth the bother as of yet. So far the most intriguing idea I've seen for robots are the Sexbots from the Austin Powers movies. I could see where they could be big sellers!
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:04 am

I started watching the last episode of Westworld last night but fell asleep a few minutes after I got into it. I don't think sexbots will ever be sought after in place of human beings but I do think they will replace sex toys and become glorified blow up dolls.

If human evolution ever gets to the point where you can't tell which is which I'm pretty sure that robots that have attained that level will have the same rights as human beings. Who knows? They may even have special rights that natural human beings don't have, similar to the way minorities do now. If this happens I imagine it would continue until humans are in danger of becoming extinct at which point the robots would be in control and legislate laws to look after and protect the last remaining humans.

I really don't see that happening. I think robots will evolve in a non human direction and will look nothing like us. Similar to the way robots are now and when they take over it will be through a malfunctioning algorithm in the software or by design; which has pretty much already happened.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets