Obesity Epidemic (Fattest States)

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Obesity Epidemic (Fattest States)

Postby ergot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Study Finds Tenfold Increase in Child Obesity
Parents need to make responsible decisions about what they make available to their kids. It's as if eating has become a favorite family activity.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Fat Kids

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 am

ergot: I had a friend who had a son who was a little bit skinny back a few years ago. She got a visit from CPS to check to see if she was failing to feed her kid properly. The kid ate all the time, he just didn't gain weight. I wonder how often CPS visits the parents of fat kids. It seems like CPS might be part of the problem here. Not surprising at all, but not what we should be getting for our taxpayer dollars!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:22 am

US army aims to fight obesity: Will it succeed? :popcorn:
The US army plans to do something about all the fat people who eat too much and exercise insufficiently! It might be their most difficult mission ever!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 pm

2 reports give insight on Americans' health
With all the info about health available online, why are people getting less and less healthy?
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 am

CactusHugger: Information is irrelevant. Intelligence and being over-weight are highly correlated. Although there are always exceptions, the statistics are clear and it's been shown in study after study. The higher the IQ, the less likely it is that a person will be obese and the lower the IQ the more likely it is that a person will be obese.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:58 am

It's a great example of a valid correlation without a direct causal relationship. Although low intelligence does not cause obesity, it increases the chances that a person won't seek out information that will help to solve their weight issue. It also increases the chances that a person won't consider the long-term consequences of their behavior. As a result more wind up with bad habits which lead to obesity and other health issues.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:07 am

The only way we can save ourselves from our selves is to have the government take over our calorie intake. Maybe that’s why Soylent Green was mandatory reading for me in a Public HS. Their way of getting me ready.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby ergot » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Sparky of SoCal wrote:The only way we can save ourselves from our selves is to have the government take over our calorie intake. Maybe that’s why Soylent Green was mandatory reading for me in a Public HS. Their way of getting me ready.

The government shouldn't save anyone from anything. People should be responsible for the mess they make. If they make a mess of their body, then no one else should be required to pick up the associated costs. If they are too big to fit in an airplane seat without spilling over into the next seat, then they should be required to pay for two seats. If they can't pass physical tests that show that they are fit for employment in certain jobs, then they should be fired without any compensation or public assistance. If a person is too stupid to be able to figure out how to maintain a reasonable weight, then no one should feel sorry for them or make excuses for them. Maybe I'm cruel and heartless, but I'm not interested in enabling dysfunctional behavior. Sorry.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:29 am

ergot: That's a little extreme, but I'd rather go too far in your direction than in the PC culture direction. According to PC culture there is no such thing as self control. They make excuses for everyone. Fat acceptance is a farce. I can just hear some fat slob complaining that it's his genes that make him fat. No MORON, it's all the calorie dense food you eat combined with your lack of exercise that made you obese!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Fat superheroes are a thing now: Martina Markota
For every person who suffers from bulimia there are literally ONE THOUSAND people who are overweight and at least forty of those are morbidly obese. So, don't make a big deal over a practically non-existent problem while pretending that a huge (no pun intended) problem doesn't exist!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment