Christmas 2013

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Christmas 2013

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:42 am

Top Ten Toys of the Year :crazy:
Best gifts for kids? There are some popular choices, but are they already sold out? Better get out there and start shopping! You don't want to have a house full of disappointed kids! Expectations seem to be especially high this year!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Christmas 2013

Postby CoolChick » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 am

Emma's Monster High Holiday Gift Guide for Christmas 2013 | Kittiesmama
This little girl even tells you where you can go to get these items. From what I've heard Monster High stuff is in demand this year!
:franky:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 am

GoldieBlox, Rube Goldberg, & Beastie Boys "Princess Machine" (a concert for little girls)
Don't just get the stereotypical doll or toy kitchen for your girls. Think outside the box and take the advice offered in this video!
Over EIGHT MILLION views in a week! Not just VIRAL, it went SUPER VIRAL!!!
:talk:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 pm

GoldieBlox Preemptively Sues Beastie Boys Over Commercial Dispute
Parody is protected speech, but if it's being used to promote a product there could be a problem. One way or the other it's a funny parody and I enjoyed the video immensely!
:thumb:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:36 am

Tech Minute: Black Friday shopping
Most people I know stay away from all stores on Black Friday, but for those willing to go through that ordeal these apps might be useful!
:up2:
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Tech gifts under $100
Not quite exactly helpful. Two good ideas and three dumb ideas, but they're all under $100 which still seems like a lot of money to me. Keep it under $25 and I'll be happy when it comes to gift ideas! Not that I'm cheap, but unless it's a spouse, daughter, son, or parent I don't see spending much!
:thumb: Good ideas: earphones and universal remote
:down: Dumb ideas: fitness tracker, e-book readers, and media streamers
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:36 pm

GoldieBlox Pulls Beastie Boys Video, Promises To Drop Legal Dispute :upset:
As you may have noticed, the video that is posted above is currently not available. I'm sure there are lots of copies floating around out there, but the company that posted the video has set it to private, at least for the time being. I support their right to make a parody version of the song in question, but I don't think it is alright for them to use it to advertise their product. If the video were made without any of their products in it and by another organization not directly associated with the company, then making and posting the video would be totally legit. It's fair use, but that doesn't make it fair to use it to promote a product. There's a difference between artistic expression and a commercial advertisement.
This isn't a huge surprise, but given all the publicity, Goldieblox has agreed to pull down the video that included the Beastie Boys' song "Girls," with an open letter to the remaining members of the band, saying that while they believe that their use was fair use, they wanted to respect the wishes of Adam Yauch and his strong desire not to see the band's music used in commercials.

LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131127/10060625390/goldieblox-pulls-beastie-boys-video-promises-to-drop-legal-dispute.shtml
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:42 am

Black Friday is Bullshit :poop:
Congratulations to anyone who didn't go shopping yesterday and who isn't going shopping today. You have resisted the impulse to be involved in the over-commercialization of Christmas for at least two days.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:00 pm

GoldieBlox & Rube Goldberg "Princess Machine" :pac:
Here's the updated version of the video. It's just not the same without the parody version of the Beastie Boys song.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 pm

FAA Issues Holiday Reminder That Planes Can Crash And Kill You
Something to keep in mind before you purchase those airplane tickets to go visit relatives during the holidays!
:pac:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment