Social Media Trends

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Social Media Trends

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:55 am

10 Curious Facts About Twitter
This video could have also been called A BRIEF HISTORY OF TWITTER. Some of it is pretty funny and some of it is pretty interesting and it's only two and a half minutes long.
:pac:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:36 am

How to be popular on Twitter :pac:
Some guy named Greg Gallant talks about Twitter and the secret to getting more followers, favorites and retweets. I'm not convinced that Twitter is worth the bother, but what he says is somewhat interesting and provides some insight into what people do on Twitter.
:roll2:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:53 am

You Can Finally Post GIFs On Twitter :pac:
I suppose the only real question here is why did it take so long?
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 am

Emojis or Emoticons? :shrug:
They call them emojis, but I've always called them emoticons. I guess I need to catch up with the hipster lingo and put on some skinny jeans!
:roll2:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:34 am

Yelp Reviews Have Become Make-or-Break For Businesses
I'll have to check the Yelp! reviews for the Taco Bell in Ridgecrest just in case there's been any employees licking the taco shells lately.
:poop:
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Area Facebook User Incredibly Stupid
First of all, the Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-facebook-user-incredibly-stupid,36712/
And now for a little explanation:
Facebook To Ruin Our Good Time With 'Satire' Disclaimer; The Onion Responds With Satire
Believe it or not, some Facebook users are confused by satire/parody "news" articles. I'm pretty sure these are the same people who believe everything that the likes of Fox and CNN tell them too!
LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140818/11570528243/facebook-to-ruin-our-good-time-with-satire-disclaimer-onion-responds-with-satire.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:12 pm

5 Crazy Ways Social Media Is Changing Your Brain Right Now
Positive and negative outcomes. I wouldn't have guessed that relationships started online are actually stronger than ones started face-to-face. Strange, but they say it's true.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 am

Facebook’s new idiotic “privacy” fiction
From Microsoft's helpful Clippy cartoon character, to Facebook's retarded privacy dinosaur, it looks like tech companies really enjoy annoying customers!
:poop:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Teens Obsess Over '100 Club' for 'Likes' on Social Media :?
It's called "The 100 Club" and it turns Facebook and Instagram into a popularity contest for young teens and others who fall into the social media trap.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby pcslim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:46 am

Why Requiring Social Networks To Monitor Posts To Spot Terrorists Will Make It Even Harder To Catch Them
The problem here is twofold:
1) First of all it's just ridiculous for social networks to be responsible for this sort of thing. It's just not their proper roll. Citizens should not be forced to be law enforcement agents. That's what totalitarian regimes do. That sort of thing should never be allowed to happen in a country which cherishes freedom.
2) False Positives: For every actual criminal identified, dozens of non-criminals will also be falsely identified as being likely suspects. Although one could argue that this would force individuals to choose their words more carefully, the reality is that it would have a chilling effect on free speech with individuals not participating in the free exchange of ideas out of fear that they might word something in a way that might be misinterpreted by the idiots in charge or the algorithm they use to find suspicious communications.
Data strategist Duncan Ross set out what would happen if someone could create an algorithm that correctly identified a terrorist from their communications 99.9% of the time -- far, far more accurate than any real algorithm - with the assumption that there were 100 terrorists in the UK. The algorithm would correctly identify the 100 terrorists. But it would also misidentify 0.01% of the UK's non-terrorists as terrorists: that’s a further 60,000 people, leaving the authorities with a still-huge problem on their hands.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141203/09501829313/why-requiring-social-networks-to-monitor-posts-to-spot-terrorists-will-make-it-even-harder-to-catch-them.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment