Protein Bars

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Protein Bars

Postby cactuspete » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 am

TOP 6 BEST Protein Bars 2018!
Are protein bars more or less healthy than "real" food? Without a doubt that depends on which protein bars you're talking about and what "real" food the bars are being compared to. The best protein bars are healthier than MOST everyday foods consumed by your average American, but they aren't as healthy as fresh, organic, properly prepared "real" food.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Protein Bars

Postby twister » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 pm

How to select the perfect protein bar to eat
Energy and protein bars are so convenient, but some of them have way too much sugar!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 am

Most of the protein bars on my list of favorites have too much sugar. I need to be a little more selective. A high protein candybar isn't really a meal replacement, although it may be more healthy than a burger, fries, and shake at a fastfood restaurant. It might even beat a breakfast consisting of bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns. However, it is not exactly healthy to have thirty grams of sugar as part of a meal!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am

Most protein bars are no better for you than if you took a dump and rolled it in sugar. OK maybe that's an exaggeration but the point is there is little to no difference in nutrition between them and most candy bars or other snack treats. None of them come close to a nice juicy steak or wild caught salmon.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 am

surfsteve wrote:Most protein bars are no better for you than if you took a dump and rolled it in sugar. OK maybe that's an exaggeration but the point is there is little to no difference in nutrition between them and most candy bars or other snack treats. None of them come close to a nice juicy steak or wild caught salmon.

I completely disagree. Even the worst protein bars are much, much more nutritious than a candy bar. For that matter, even the worst bars are better for you than a PB&J sandwich or any of a number of commonly eaten sandwiches. On the other hand, the best protein bars are on par with a "nice juicy steak or wild caught salmon" in terms of nutrition, but certainly not taste. And then there are the increasingly popular meat bars such as the Epic bars which come in flavors including salmon, beef, buffalo, chicken, venison, wild boar, and lamb.
EPIC MEAT BARS: https://store.epicbar.com/collections/bars
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:00 am

Choosing the Right Protein Bar
The main point of this short video is that not all protein bars are the same. So choose your protein bar wisely!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:27 am

The Best Protein Shake Meal Replacement - Instant Kale Shake
And while we're on the topic of protein bars, we might as well talk about protein shakes!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 am

To CactusPete: Well I guess I have to admit you are right as long as we are talking about protein which is after all what the subject is about; but I don't consider any of those bars to be healthy at all especially when stacked up against natural foods. There is no way any kind of protein bar can stack up against a real source of protein in it's natural unprocessed form and making it meat flavored (though I confess to not having read the label) by adding artificial flavoring is only going to make things worse. Just like an energy bar can't stack up against a piece of fruit a protein bar has no chance of being as healthy as a genuine high protein food. In closing I feel that too much emphasis is put on protein and not enough on reducing carbohydrates. Most folks would benefit by leaving their protein intake alone and reducing their sugar intake by replacing it with healthy fats, which are another subject on their own. Mind you this is just my opinion and that of alternative health which is in direct opposition with mainstream medicine, which people continue to listen to while diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease continue to escalate and climb to all time highs. Looking for the ultimate protein bar to improve your health seems kind of like looking for the ultimate electric type writer in order to modernize your office. Find one that pleases you the most and brings back a sense of nostalgia and give it to yourself as a rare treat but don't depend on it or try and use it to get you to your ultimate goal.

The best foods are ones without ingredient lists or even the packaging to print them on
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:09 pm

surfsteve: A carefully selected diet made from natural foods is the best way to go, but it's also a very time-consuming task to select and prepare meals that way. Also it's hard to use many items faster than they spoil and so there's a good deal of waste or the hassle of frequently picking up items in the produce section. However, almost no one actually eats that way. Maybe five percent of the overall population at most. For the vast majority of people protein bars (especially the best of the bunch) would be an improvement over their current nutritional habits. Also whey protein is considered a higher quality protein than beef, BTW. That's based on the amino acids present in each as they match up to the nutritional needs of humans.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am

If you want exceptional results you have to put in the extra effort. The tabloids are full of old hags that have had 29 facelifts pushing protein bars that go back even further than that guy pushing grape nuts who has long passed and nobody remembers.

Whey protein has never agreed with me. Dairy is a major cause of inflammation. Recently I tried adding plain yogurt back into my diet and noticed a huge decrease in strength, weight gain and a swelling in my face in body. As soon as I noticed I went back on my original diet and a week later was back to normal and able to do 26 pull ups. I strongly suspect that whey protein being high quality is a myth.

As for not having the time or being able to cook I can pan fry a few slices of previously frozen, wild caught salmon for 90 seconds on each side or increase the time for a nice juicy steak to two and a half minutes. While cooking fresh kale takes a lot of time and effort to prepare than canned, a spoonful of wheatgrass juice powder only takes a few seconds to mix up and does far more good.

The problem is most people's taste buds have been perverted. Worse than that: grains and dairy activate some of the same receptors that opium does and are nearly as addictive; but if you want it, there's no way around it and you have to pay your dues. I suppose you're right. A protein bar is better than doing nothing and at least it shows effort but for us old folks I believe that diet is responsible for 90% of the results obtainable from working out. Without that foundation it's difficult to even have the strength to get started.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment