Herbal Supplements

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Herbal Supplements

Postby ergot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Ground Ginger to Reduce Muscle Pain
IMHO most herbal supplements are worthless and those pushing their use are quacks. Then again there is little doubt that there are some scientifically valid uses of herbal supplements. That's why I enjoy the nutritionfacts.org channel on YouTube!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Herbal Supplements

Postby surfsteve » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 am

I prefer kale over spinach. As an instant snack I like eating it right out of the can just like Popeye!

There are tons of uses for ginger. I buy candied ginger in 5 pound bags for around 20 dollars. One bag lasts me a couple of years. Peppermint works better for muscle pain than ginger and now that I think about it so does cinnamon to a lesser extent. I would say that peppermint works better for muscle pain and athletic performance as a preventative but the ginger works better for an upset stomach and edges out peppermint post workout due to better anti inflammatory properties. Peppermint is cooling while both ginger and cinnamon are warming so I would favor peppermint for allergies and ginger for a cold and to a lesser extent cinnamon. Cinnamon is superior for balancing blood sugar and eliminating cravings for sweets.

Wintergreen was not talked about but it's right up there with all of them and may be the best all around if you only had one to choose from but since most of us don't I'd say use them all, each for their intended purposes and for variety!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am

Ginger is supposed to boost testosterone and that could help with both increasing muscle mass and reduction of stored fat. I'm not sure if there have been studies to verify any of that, but it would seem that Dr. Gregor should have a video on that.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 am

I don't know. Peppermint is supposed to lower testosterone but yet at the same time it is useful in building muscle. It could have to do with the way testosterone is measured. If it's putting it to use into your cells it's possible that it could register lower in blood tests because it's all being used. I would think ginger would be useful in building muscle too because it enables you to work out harder.

Some people taking massive doses of testosterone develop feminine characteristics because the body turns it into estrogen.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 pm

FDA warns herbal supplement kratom has similar effects to narcotics
Some of these so-called herbal supplements are apparently pretty potent and even potentially dangerous!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:26 am

Everything I've read about Kratom suggests that it is more dangerous than the narcotics it is supposed to replace.

Just like there are safe and dangerous drugs prescribed by doctors there are dangerous and safe herbal supplements.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Are Weight-Loss Supplements Safe? :wtf:
SEVENTY PERCENT of herbal supplement manufacturers violate basic good manufacturing standards and 68% don't even contain the main label ingredient. That's pretty messed up!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:32 am

Construction worker dies after eating black licorice
It's not exactly an herbal supplement, but glycyrrhizin is a substance which is used in some manufactured foods, beverages, candies, dietary supplements, and seasonings. It doesn't take much to upset your potassium balance and that can lead to lots of health issues.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cloud » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:48 am

Bai | The Story of Coffeefruit
As it turns out there are all sorts of issues with coffeefruit!!!!
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby dzrtdwg » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:08 am

Why You Should Avoid Eating Goji Berries
Lectins? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Return to Recreation and Entertainment