Desert Natives for the Garden

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Desert Natives for the Garden

Postby wildrose » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am

Ultimate Plant called Brittlebush, Encelia farinosa - brittle bush
I've seen several in yards in Ridgecrest and Trona. It's hardy and completely adapted to the desert environment since it's a native!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Desert Natives for the Garden

Postby wildrose » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 am

Creosote Ubiquitous Across the Mojave Desert
Not only is this plant adapted to the desert environment, but it can live thousands of years!
When it rains in the desert, one can often catch the scent of creosote. Some creosote has been found to be 12,000 years old. It is ubiquitous across the Mojave Desert, including on the grounds of the Clark County Museum.

wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:11 am

wildrose: Both of those plants produce some very nice blooms and they would completely be able to handle the weather in the high desert without hardly any water. It makes a lot of sense to include shrubs like these in the landscape.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 am

Desert natives are a great idea as long as you aren't talking about collecting plants from the desert, especially anything that is at all rare or endangered. Otherwise, yeah, they are perfect since they require little water and they can handle the tough conditions.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am

I don't see anything wrong with collecting common plants from the desert such as brittlebush, for instance. Anything that's rare should be considered off-limits obviously. But things like beavertail or creosote or certain other plentiful plants should be fine. Then again not everything will survive relocation and so it's always best to just buy stuff from a nursery when that's an option.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:26 am

MOJAVE ASTER: I've never seen Mojave aster for sale at any nursery and yet it's one of the most beautiful desert flowers out there. It's hardy and beautiful and common in the desert. It seems like some enterprising plant nursery entrepreneur would make it available to the public!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 am

MOJAVE ASTER: Very nice Tronagirl! I'd love to have some of those in my yard. Beautiful plant and like you say it's perfectly adapted to the local environment. It almost seems criminal not to offer it at local nurseries!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Mojave Desert Native Plants
Here are some plants that might work!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 am

Does anyone know where I can purchase some apricot mallow plants? It produces flowers for a few months every year and it hardly needs any water at all. It's probably one of the most attractive native plants out here and it's a pity that it's so difficult to find at any of the local nurseries.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Vegan Protein Source in My Backyard - Amazing Tree
Palo verde is native to the Sonoran Desert and so it might not survive the winters in the northern Mojave Desert, but I have seen several growing in Ridgecrest.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Native Plants Information