TJUSD Board Meeting - May 11, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 11, 2017

Postby wildrose » Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 am

Noam Chomsky - On Being Truly Educated
Do schools assist kids on the path to becoming truly educated? My opinion is YES, FOR THE MOST PART, but obstacles are created by the federal and state government which prevent teachers from being as effective as they could be if they were allowed to provide a high quality learning experience for their students.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 am

Middle school 'fight club' busted
When I was a kid we did stuff like this in backyards and we didn't have any websites to post it to, but it's just the same ole thing dressed up slightly differently. Nothing all that surprising for kids that age.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 am

Kids Will Now Take "Anti-Science" Classes
Academic freedom is one thing, but this whole creationism-during-science scam is an entirely different thing. Teach science in science class and leave the mythology and religious superstition to some kind of humanities or social issues class. Proper exercise of academic freedom requires intellectual integrity...
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon May 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Fidget spinners banned from several classrooms
Lots of kids have them and so someone must be getting rich!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 am

According to a couple things I've seen online some kids have actually knocked out teeth using these things. Usually this has been the result of some kind of dare or thoughtless experimentation. I've also heard these things can be a disruption in classes, but that's not surprising at all! LOL
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dingleberry » Wed May 31, 2017 6:23 am

Getting back to swimming pools and the gross stuff in the water, I'd like to suggest personal hygiene be taught in a simple and direct manner to youngsters. They should understand that diseases can be spread as the result of bad personal hygiene and that the impact of healthy habits can be great later in life. The problem is that teaching kids what to do often doesn't translate into them doing what they ought to do. In fact, sometimes the opposite is the result.
dingleberry
Greenhorn

Re: Public Swimming Pools

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:32 am

What's the difference between a public swimming pool and a toilet? This might sound like a joke, but unfortunately the answer is NOT MUCH. I don't necessarily recommend avoiding them completely, but don't just jump into any large container full of liquid. There's no guarantee that it's filled with uncontaminated, pure, clean, safe water!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 am

Education reform: Beware of experts | IN 60 SECONDS
Well, this pretty much goes without saying...
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Experts and Education Reform

Postby shadylady » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 am

Experts in the hard sciences are worth listening to, but so-called experts in social science and education are worthless. You can rig a study to support any hypothesis out there in social science and education. The power of a self-affirming bias is greater than anything else when it comes to those with an agenda to change (or should I say transform?) society.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Public Swimming Pools

Postby whiskeypete » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:10 am

BoraxBill: The biggest difference between public pools and toilets is that generally speaking only one person pisses into a toilet at a time. With public pools there could be a dozen people turning the water a funny yellow-green color at any given time. When put in those terms, a swim in a public pool seems a whole lot less refreshing!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Previous

Return to Local News