The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Do brain injury dangers extend beyond 'contact' sports?
Even mild brain trauma can be a real problem, especially if repeated often. Kids who play soccer should not be allowed to head the soccer ball and even the best football helmet does not do nearly enough to provide proper protection for kids playing tackle football.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Science Presentation - SNL
It's crazy how athletes often get preferential treatment. They seldom are held to the same standards that other students are held to. This may be a slight exaggeration, but there's always pressure on teachers and professors to make sure that student athletes remain eligible even when they fail miserably.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Appeals court rules against football coach suspended for kneeling in prayer after games
Looks like the coach lost this ruling, but I could see the Supreme Court going either way on this one. Technically, he should lose again, but the court now has a conservative majority and so their could be enough bias in the court for this guy to actually win at that level if it actually goes there.
A federal appeals court on Wednesday ruled against a high school football coach who was suspended for kneeling in prayer after games, saying it was unlikely the coach could show that a school district in Washington state violated his constitutional rights.

LINK:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/appeals-court-rules-against-football-coach-suspended-for-kneeling-in-prayer-after-games/article/2632384
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 am

ergot: You never know how judges will rule since some seem to lose perspective and focus on elements of a situation which aren't all that pertinent, but judges are human too and sometimes their biases cause them to make erroneous judgments. I agree with this ruling this case in that I feel that the coach did abuse his authority as a coach to promote religion. Afterall, he was a coach at a public school, not a church school!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:07 pm

This football helmet could be a game changer
Lots of interesting claims made in this short report including the assertion that youth football programs saw a ten percent decline in participation following reports in recent years that football is highly correlated to the development of degenerative brain conditions later in life. I've always believed that allowing children to play football even with protective gear is a form of child abuse. Is playing football while young worth the dramatically increased chance of developing a degenerative brain disease later in life?
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Study links youth football to cognitive issues
If it can cause permanent cognitive impairment, then it is a form of child abuse. No escaping that logic.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Youth football linked to serious brain and behavioral problems
ergot. I agree with your logic. No denying that there is a problem.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Mya Morales and Tiara Freese hit the gridiron this season, breaking down ‘gender roles’
Daily Insufficient local interest story about young ladies playing on male teams. I think this young lady is the third young lady who has played on the Trona football team in the last couple decades. Nothing new, but still new enough to be considered a novelty on a slow news day.
http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20171004/setting-standard
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 am

Ridgecrest High School football team goes viral after pregame display
The claim is made that the original video went viral, but this one has only 23 views and there is no sign of the original on YouTube. In any case, 200k views doesn't really qualify as viral. Maybe semi-viral, but if it's not on YouTube, then I don't trust the numbers.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Ridgecrest High School football team goes viral
This is pretty inspirational, but I gotta agree with BoraxBill, Facebook views aren't worth much. The total YouTube views for the video up above and the two below is about 13,000 views. That's most definitely not even remotely viral.

tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News