Food Is Weird

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Food Is Weird

Postby sandman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Tony's Table: Jazz Apples
A new variety of apple which undoubtedly tastes pretty much like every other variety of apple you've ever tasted. Unless you're an apple connoisseur you probably won't really care all that much, but this video does include some good advice about how to keep apples fresh: KEEP THEM IN THE GODDAMNED REFRIGERATOR!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: JAZZ APPLES

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:39 am

sandman: Jazz Apples sound really good. A cross between a Fuji, Gala, and Honey Crisp sounds tasty to me. I don't consider myself a connoisseur, but I do love a good apple! Although like the guy says, a mealy apple is an incredible disappointment.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 am

Will the Arctic Apple usher in a wave of genetically engineered fruits and vegetables?
I'll try one when I see it for sale at the supermarket. If it tastes good, I'll get more.
Can genetic engineering help reduce the burgeoning worldwide food waste problem? The Arctic Apple doesn’t brown when sliced, making it easier for consumers to finish their apples instead of throwing them out when they change color. Apples turn brown when exposed to oxygen and water molecules in air because of an oxidation process managed by an enzyme, polyphenol oxidase. In most cases, slightly browned apples are fine to eat, but are discarded because of their color.

LINK:
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/01/27/will-the-arctic-apple-usher-in-a-new-wave-of-genetically-engineered-fruits-and-vegetables/
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 am

Artic and Jazz Apples: I'm on the fence regarding GMO fruits and vegetables. There could be issues that we are not aware of yet. I don't want to sound paranoid, but you gotta be careful about what you put into your body!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Some Doctors Prescribe Food Instead Of Pills To Treat Certain Patients
Food is weird and the right foods can make a lot of difference when it comes to your health!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Ancient root with modern benefits
This ashwagandha stuff sounds like it would be good for you and it might be interesting to see if it would grow in the desert.
Ashwagandha is regarded as one of the great rejuvenative herbs of India. According to Ayurveda, the traditional healing system of India, the root of this low-growing shrub is said to be effective for a host of debilitated conditions, including general weakness, impotence, infertility, and others. Ashwaganda is sometimes described as "Indian Ginseng" for the significance of this botanical in Indian pharmacopoeia.

LINK: http://www.heirloom-organics.com/guide/va/guidetogrowingashwagandha.html
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Report warns consumers of pesticides on produce
Bottom line: You still want to eat produce, but anything that can be done to reduce pesticide residue is a good thing. Eating organic is smart, but maybe not practical depending on your budget.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 am

On the Way to a Safe and Abundant Food Supply
Two paths towards the same goal. Sometimes they're seen as incompatible, but when you take a closer look they are completely compatible.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:36 am

Solving World Hunger Is Just A Matter of Logistics
Efficient distribution systems can make a difference! Just ask Amazon.com.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:05 pm

How To Regrow Everything
Some of this is common knowledge, but some of this doesn't seem very likely to work.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips