Gardening in the News!

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Gardening in the News!

Postby twister » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:11 am

This Farm of the Future Uses No Soil and 95% Less Water
Clean and efficient! Who could ask for more? Actually I'm of the opinion that natural soil is probably the best way to go, but I'm not absolutely opposed to this kind of thing.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:41 am

How An Urban Farm In Philadelphia Is Transforming Lives
People who work with plants become more grounded in the universe. Whether it's an indoor horticulturist growing marijuana or someone putting together a working garden in the inner city or out here in the desert, the experience of working with plants helps one to gain a perspective less cluttered by the triviality of pop culture.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

These Shipping Containers Are Actually Sustainable Farms
It might be fun to have one of these sustainable farm shipping containers. I'd grow a ton of strawberries!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:33 am

Melania Trump plants and harvests in White House Garden :bigger:
It looks like this garden was well cared for. Something tells me that the first lady didn't do much tending to the garden, but I could be mistaken.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 am

Zucchini Mistaken for World War II Bomb :bomb:
Although this was a false alarm, they say in the report that finding unexploded ordinance is quite common in Germany. Imagine digging around in your backyard while gardening and finding a bomb!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 am

Stockton boy awarded for growing 29-pound cabbage
Great example of how care and attentiveness can yield substantial rewards. This kid nurtured a cabbage seedling over a period of weeks and months and wound up with a prize-winning cabbage. Of course, Stockton is a great location for agricultural endeavors, but the point is that even kids can experience great successes in life if they focus on achieving good results.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 am

wildrose: Why is it not surprising that most of the cabbage was eaten by goats? Kids and vegetables don't seem to mix most of the time!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 am

Monsanto Ordered To Pay $289M To Dying Groundskeeper Who Blames Weed Killer For Cancer
I've never used weed killer simply because I knew it had to be toxic. That would be pretty obvious to anyone with any brain power at all. No surprise that it can cause cancer.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 am

When I was grounds superintendent for Douglas county, CO I had to twist their arms to even let me buy fertilizer. It was like “don't even think about buying Round-Up dude!” I've read that Round-Up salesmen used to drink that stuff to prove how safe it was and that they are all dead now. I'm surprised to hear about any verdict awarded concerning Monsanto. Read that they were bought out. Wonder if this had anything to do with it. Wouldn't be surprised if they spend a billion to try and avoid paying out that 289 million...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 am

Insecticides and herbicides are all very dangerous. They're also multi-billion dollar industries. They consider their profits to be more important than your health. So don't expect the use of these carcinogens to decline anytime soon.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips